5 Pieces of Advice for Underclassmen Collegiate Swimmers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Five Pieces of Advice for Underclassmen Collegiate Swimmers

By: Mackenna Angert

As the end of collegiate swimmers seasons are approaching, seniors are about to race for the last time.

The last meet of the season is a lot different now that it’s their last chance to compete in a sport that they have dedicated so much to. Senior swimmers are about to say goodbye to a huge part of their life and here are five pieces of advice for underclassman swimmers.

Shippensburg University Swim Team Huddles Before Meet  Photo by MacKenna Angert

1. Time Management

Most college swim teams will be in the water for at least two hours a day. A large majority of a college swimmer’s life is in the pool, on the bus, in the locker room or sleeping.

Research done by McGrow-Hill states that “when we manage our time more effectively and efficiently, we reduce stress and frustration, we become more confident, and we feel better.”

All of the above findings will help college be successful.

2.  Grades Still Come First

It’s easy to forget that one is a college swimmer.  College is hard. Being a swimmer is hard. Universities are not made for athletics – they are made for learning.

Make sure to communicate with your professors, coaches and advisors. These university members are there to help guide one’s self, but only if one is willing to let them.

3. Spend Time Outside School and Swimming

School and swimming without any mental breaks will break you. A new study in the journal Cognition proves that brief diversions from a task will improve the overall performance. Senior swimmer at Shippensburg University, Stefan Szilagyi, is an example of how this study is accurate.

“It can be easy to skip opportunities to hang out with your friends,” said Szilagyi, “Even if it is just one evening a week, stepping away from it all and enjoying some time with people will keep your morale up and your mind fresh.”

4. Remember Why You Started Swimming

There are going to be days when you hate it. Sometimes it just seems like an endless cycle of five a.m. practices. It’s easy to forget the sport you love when everything seems so negative.

Remember why you decided to start swimming. Remember the feeling of the first time you ever got a best time or got first place. Remember your favorite moments from swimming and use that smile to guide you through the hard days.

5. Appreciate The Time You Have

“Appreciate the opportunity you have. Just remember not many people get the opportunity you have and one day it will all be gone,” Szilagyi said.

Szilagyi is about to compete in his last swim meet ever this weekend. Like many other seniors, he is experiencing the loss of a major part of his life. Each day in the pool is a chance to do something you love. Cherish each day before it’s too late.     

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole