Why You Should Start Reading Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Yes, you should start reading again, and no, we don’t mean assigned readings. Reading for your enjoyment has many benefits to your health and well-being. Plus, who doesn’t enjoy getting lost in a good book? Here are four reasons why you should pick up a book and start reading again.

Increased Knowledge

Everything you read gets stored into your brain in one way or another. That means all this new vocabulary, facts about places, and tips and tricks you’re reading about are being absorbed. Knowledge is power, and it’s always beneficial to learn more about ideas, concepts, or people. Things you may learn from books may even come to help you in the future.

Mental Stimulation

Scientific studies have shown that stimulating your brain through various activities, such as reading, can possibly reduce your chances of having Alzheimer’s disease. Those who engage in stimulating activities are 2.5 times less likely to develop this disease than those who engage in less stimulating activities. Exercising the brain is crucial for the brain’s health and proper functionality, and reading is a great way to give your brain the stimulation it needs.

Stress-reliever

Losing yourself in a good book takes you away from the worries and stress of everyday life, which is why reading is an amazing stress reliever. Studies have shown that reading can reduce stress up to 68%! By reading, you’ll be able to transport and distract yourself from whatever tensions may be going on in your life.

Reading before bed can help you sleep

Instead of scrolling through your phone before going to sleep, try picking up a book instead. Reading helps you relax and zone out, unlike electronic devices that actually keep you awake longer.  By also making a habit of reading before you sleep, your body will know that it is time to power down, thus improving your quality of sleep and helping you fall asleep faster.

Inspired to read again? Here are some of my favourite books that you might want to get started on.

Poetry

I Love My Love by Reyna Biddy

Shaking the Trees by Azra Tabassum

Love Poems by Pablo Neruda

Self-help

Finding Your Element by Ken Robinson

The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey

History

Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History by Sam Muggs

Classics

Persuasion by Jane Austen

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Other

Geography of Thought by Richard Nisbett

Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon

Alyssa Manalo is a second year Communications major and Interactive Arts and Technology minor at Simon Fraser University. She is a avid reader, passionate dancer, and loves to create art of all forms. You can find out more about her on Instagram @alyssamanalo and Twitter @alyssarmanalo.