Who Should Be “The One” For Lorelai Gilmore?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

With the release date of the four-part revival Gilmore Girls series coming up soon, the excitement to see our favourite Stars Hollow residents on screen together again cannot be contained. One of the most anticipated questions of the upcoming series has to be who Rory will end up with. What about Lorelai? Are Lorelai and Luke married yet? Since we don’t have a definitive answers to those questions yet, (although we know that they’re together for sure from both the teaser pictures and from where Gilmore Girls ended off), let us take this opportunity to walk down memory lane with Lorelai’s boyfriends to see if Luke is really the one for her: 

1. Max Medina 

Ah yes, all-around good-guy, teacher of Rory, ex-fiancé of Lorelai – Max Medina. I liked Max, a lot. At the time, I truly thought he would be the one for Lorelai. He was kind, he loved Lorelai, he cooks, he is smart, and he goes along with whatever crazy plans that Lorelai has, and that was the problem.

He always went along with the things Lorelai wanted to do, but he never initiated anything. As much as he loved Lorelai, he was simply along for the ride – he was never the driving force behind the relationship. Sure, he proposed, but had Lorelai not shown up at his door, would they have gotten back together after the first break up? 

2. Alex Lesman 

Friend of Sookie, ex-boyfriend of Lorelai’s, coffee connoisseur – Alex Lesman. He loves coffee, and we all know that coffee to Lorelai is as important as oxygen, so Alex automatically gets points for that. Some points should be docked off when he took Lorelai fishing (not that it’s his fault since Lorelai totally seemed excited, despite not having any interest in outdoor activities), but he redeemed himself for being sensitive enough to see that Lorelai really wasn’t that into fishing. I liked them together; they were cute – though not especially exciting, and I guess that’s how their relationship fizzled off in the end. 

3. Jason Stiles aka Digger

Childhood friend of Lorelai, Richard’s ex-business partner – Jason Stiles. Jason is hardworking, but he is also very, very weird. He has a dog that doesn’t move or make sounds, and he makes Lorelai sleep in the guest bedroom… Need I say more? However, I’d have to say that Jason truly loved Lorelai; he was perhaps more invested in the relationship than she was. Afterall, he was the one who pushed hard to have their relationship make known to the public.

But what he did to Richard, and how he decided to sue him was unforgivable. Yes, Richard gave him plenty of reason to do so, but how can you decide to sue the father of the woman you’re dating? It doesn’t matter that Lorelai doesn’t have the best relationship with her family, suing her father was just simply not the way to her heart. Next!

4. Christopher Hayden 

Rory’s father, Lorelai’s ex-husband – Chris. The two labels I listed are just amongst the many things that Chris is to Lorelai. Throughout the series, we saw the two get back together and have their relationship progress to the brink of finally working out so many times, and it almost did when they got married. However, I think it’s good that they didn’t work out. Chris was just never mature enough. He loved Lorelai and he was there for her heartbreaks, but he wasn’t there when she needed him the most. Because of a fight, he showed up to the hospital hours late when Richard had a heart attack, and when he finally showed up, he acted pettily; putting his anger in front of what Lorelai needed: his support.

Another one of his fatal flaws was his jealousy. Despite Lorelai choosing Chris and getting married with him, he didn’t trust her. He made her feel like she had to hide her friendship with Luke.

Despite wanting Christopher to be the one, with the pair’s undeniable chemistry, long lasting history, and him being Rory’s father, Chris just couldn’t be one for Lorelai.

5. Luke Danes

Owner of Luke’s Diner, father of April Nardini, ex-fiancé of Lorelai, now-boyfriend of Lorelai – Luke Danes. Luke is, of course, the perfect one for Lorelai, we all know that, but for the sake of further confirming that he is indeed the one, let us go through all the reasons why he is the one.

First and foremost, he makes good coffee and serves good food.  From the very beginning of the series, Luke’s Diner has been the place to go whenever Lorelai and Rory needed their fix for coffee, and often to satisfy their hunger in the morning, afternoon and at night.

Secondly, although Luke is not a man of many words, he is always there for Lorelai. He put up with Lorelai and Rory’s regular, adorable annoyance at the diner, he fixed up their house, and he acted like a father to Rory – loving her and being as proud of a father as possible while she grew up. 

Thirdly, he did so much for Lorelai, whether they were together or not. He built her a Chuppah, created her a wedding, bought her a house and then sold the house he bought because Lorelai didn’t want to move, threw the going away party for Rory… Luke did everything for Lorelai. Although they broke off their engagement because Luke didn’t communicate enough, all the things he did to show his love for Lorelai is more than enough to convince me that Luke Danes is the one for Lorelai Gilmore. Here’s to hoping they finally get married this time around! 

Sandy is a third-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University. She is devoted to the saying "Look Good, Feel Good" as her favourite thing to do in the whole wide world is to dress up each day as though she is going on her own runway. Feel free to check out her Instagram @blingbling3d for OOTDs and other bits and pieces of her life.