Tried and True Home Remedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Home remedies can be great money savers because the ingredients are almost always within your home. Beauty products, and even our day-to-day necessities necessary for our well-being are becoming increasingly expensive so I for one, am a lover of finding new home remedies and do-it-yourself recipes.

1. Headaches/Migraines

• Essential oils are great for relieving pain. For the most common type of headaches, tension headaches, use eucalyptus or peppermint oil on your temples. For migraines, use lavender or peppermint oil and massage onto your temples and back of neck.

• Magnesium use of the most common deficiencies in our population and happens to be a culprit of migraines. Magnesium supplements are efficient for prevention as well as foods such as spinach, pumpkin seeds, brown rice, almonds, and dark chocolate.

2. Exfoliation

• Oil and sugar are a great combination to create silky, smooth skin. The most commonly used oils are coconut oil and olive oil due to their nourishing, moisturizing properties.

• Add your favourite essential oils – some favourites include: lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus.

3. Colds/Sinus Infections

• Steaming your face is a great way to get instant relief. Helping to loosen the mucus, drape a towel over your head of steaming, hot water. To increase effectiveness, add a couple drops of eucalyptus oil or lavender oil.

• Stay away from mucus forming foods. Many may not know that certain foods can actually make your cold symptoms worse. If you’re trying to eliminate your symptoms be sure to limit your intake of dairy, corn, fried foods, and your favourite indulgences such as salty snacks and sweet treats. Foods that eliminate mucus include leafy green vegetables, garlic, and citrus fruits.

• Apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper helps to clear your nasal passages. Though it may not be the tastiest drink you’ve had it surely does the trick. Simply combine a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of honey, and a dash of cayenne pepper to a cup of warm water.

4. Teeth whitening

• Baking soda is an effective remedy for removing surface stains and giving your teeth a glossier appeal. For use, combine baking soda with water until it forms a toothpaste-like consistency.

5. Oral health

• Oil pulling has been trending across the globe and has shown to remove bacteria and improve gum and teeth health. Specifically, coconut oil is used to rinse out the toxins and produce benefits like bad breath, teeth whitening, cavity prevention, tooth decay prevention, and boost the immune system.

6. Acne

• Known for all sorts of health benefits, honey has antibacterial properties that helps to treat your acne. For an overall improved look of your skin, it also helps to reduce redness and moisturize. When applying the honey to your acne, leave it on for 10-15 minutes.

• Another great treatment with antibacterial properties is tea tree oil. Relatively cheap and easy to find in drugstores, this oil helps to reduce redness and the size of acne overnight.

7. Razor burn

• Tea tree oil acts as a great, natural antibiotic that cleanses and moisturizes the skin. To soothe the irritation and redness from burns, apply a couple drops to the affected areas.

• Aloe Vera is a commonly well-known remedy for burns including razor bumps and/or burns.

8. Sore Muscles

• For sore muscles try an Epsom salt bath to relax the muscles and decrease the pain of stiff joints.

• Applying heat also helps to relax muscles.

9. Dull, weak nails

• To improve the look of your nails, coconut oil helps to improve circulation and intensely moisturize your cuticles.

• To stop your nails from breaking, raw apple cider vinegar is great for strengthening the nail. Apple cider vinegar contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals include calcium, zinc, and biotin which help build nail strength and nourish them with the nutrients they require.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa