Tarantino, I’m going to let you finish, but Edward Cullen is one of the best characters of all time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The whole Twilight series was a cultural reset. Everyone and their moms were simping over Edward or Jacob and I can’t blame them. If I’m being honest, the Twilight series is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am obsessed with everything about the movies. The whole series and cast have been major pop culture icons in the twenty first century, especially Mr. Robert Pattison. This may be controversial, but Edward Cullen carried the whole series, like he is probably the best character I have ever seen (film kids please don’t come for me I have never seen a Tarantino movie and I don’t plan on it, peak cinema doesn’t exist in my universe). To prove my point, here are Edward Cullen’s best quotes ranked.

“So the lion fell in love with the lamb”

First, this line is so beautiful and just explains Bella and Edward’s relationship perfectly. There really isn’t a better line than that to describe the whole series, except maybe, “Bella where the hell have you been, loca?” Second, this quote was plastered all over Hot Topic when the movies were at their peak. I swear there were probably pacifiers with this line inscribed all over it. What else can I say? Hot Topic speaks louder than words.

“What if I’m not a superhero? What if I’m the bad guy?”

Yes we love a self deprecating king!! I’m kidding, but not really. This is the only line I can think of that could explain Edward Cullen in twelve words or less. Edward Cullen has this perspective of himself as some evil monster due to his lack of a soul and prior multiple homicides. Yet, despite his past and “eternal damnation” he is one of the simpiest men I have ever encountered (which we love). This line goes to show that sometimes the way we think about ourselves is not actually the way we are. 

“Look after my heart I’ve left it with you”

Don’t get me started with this line. I can’t even watch the scene without crying. If you haven’t seen New Moon, Edward says this line to Bella right before he leaves her. It wasn’t a very feminist move of him to make, but we circle back to the topic of his self-deprecating and destructing state. If someone left me out of nowhere like he did to Bella, I would be livid. But if they said this line before doing so, I’d be fine with it because it is such a sweet thing to say. It just hits me right in the feels as a twelve year old me would say.

“No measure of time with you will ever be long enough, but let’s start with forever”

If my husband does not include this line in his vows to me at our wedding I’m walking out. I love this line because it captures how much he is in love with Bella and I love to see it. There is not much more to say than this line is beautiful and I am so happy for Edward and Bella in their little fictional lives.

“Hold on tight, spider monkey”

Of course, I could not leave this line out. Although this line is not featured in the book as it was an improvised line by Pattison while filming, it is a genius quote. What a beautiful thing to see comedic relief in such a scary moment for Bella. Imagine someone saying this to you while you’re dangling off a tree three thousand feet in the sky. Insane! Nonetheless, this quote is all over social media and so be it!

There you go folks! The five reasons why you should believe Edward Cullen is the best character of all time. Actually! I have one last thing to say:

Tarantino, I’m going to let you finish, but Edward Cullen is one of the best characters of all time.

Kiara is an International Studies major concentrating in International Security and Conflict with a minor in Labour Studies at Simon Fraser University.