Sleep: An Academic Strategy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

University is a different environment than high school, complete with its own expectations and demands. We get busy, our schedules become impossible to balance, and sleep is often the first thing that gets cut. It can be easy to forget how important sleep is for one’s functioning… So, let me remind you!

In University, you need to be more self-directed, and take responsibility for your own self-management. Now, I know this may sound scary, but the sooner you acknowledge this occurrence, the faster (and more efficiently) you can work to develop your overall independence. This means, you will need to actively attend class, prioritize schoolwork, avoid procrastination, study effectively, access support and of course, manage your sleep.

In fact, 8.5-9.25 nightly hours of sleep is recommended for university students aged 17-22. Anything less proves to compromise students’ ability to solve problems, learn, concentrate, and attend class. But, if you get those (magical) 9 hours of sleep, you are more likely to succeed in your endeavors and will obtain an optimal level of mental and physical energy.

So, when you do find the time to sleep, here are some ways you can make it count!

Don’t Socialize/Web Browse Before Bed

Yes, this includes watching TV and using the computer – absolutely no electronic devices before bed. It is proven that the light from the screens interferes with sleep. There are no loopholes here people… and remember, at the end of the day, only you can keep yourself accountable.

Go To Bed Earlier

Now, this doesn’t have to be done all at once. It can be easier said than done to simply go to bed 1 or 2 hours earlier than you normally would. So, instead, try going to bed a little bit earlier every day – fifteen minutes will even prove to make a world of difference.

Stick To A Regular Sleep Schedule

This includes waking up at the same time every day. It can be hard to get up early on your day off… trust me, I know! But, if you establish a sleep schedule, you’ll be surprised how fast your body can adapt. Eventually, you’ll find that your waking up even before your alarm goes off. Not only will this give you an added boost for the day that lies ahead, but you’ll also get more done and feel more accomplished for it.

Try A Relaxing Bedtime Ritual

Light reading, taking a bath or a hot shower, meditating, or perhaps even listening to relaxing music will help ease you before bed and can help relieve unwanted stressors. Personally, I like lighting candles before bed – there’s something about the light glow of the flames that illuminate against the walls that’s calming, plus, candles smell amazing.

Get Regular Exercise

I know… exercise, ick. Just kidding, exercise, of course, reduces stress and aids in a better nights sleep. Just don’t exercise 2 hours before bed!

Avoid Caffeine Before Bed

This includes avoiding energy drinks and nicotine consumption in the late afternoon or evening for somewhat obvious reasons.

Use Your Bed For Solely Sleep And Relaxation

Aka, don’t study in bed. (It’ll just remind you of what you can’t have… because YOU DON’T HAVE TIME TO SLEEP!)

Avoid Alcohol and Unhealthy Food

Did you just boo me? Rude. I know, how unfortunate. At this point, I feel as though I’m shattering every hope and dream you’ve ever had. (These are just the facts collegiates, get mad at the Scientists… they say it can impede quality of sleep, or whatever.)

Avoid Going To Bed To Hungry/To Full

So, because you can no longer eat unhealthy foods (sorry) maybe eat an apple before bed, or like a salad?

And Be Careful About Napping

If you are going to nap, do so for 10-30 minutes, this is the optimal duration of a “power nap” that will give you that extra boost of energy and alertness that no energy drink ever could. Do not exceed 30 minute naps as it can cause that groggy “what-year-is-it-where-am-I” phenomenon, and will prove to interfere with falling asleep at night.

With all this being said, I know it’s most definitely easier said than done to actually implement a healthy sleep schedule into your routine. As university students, we lead extremely busy lives – trying to juggle school with work with volunteering with extra curricular activities, and a social life.

Nevertheless, it makes sense to prioritize a good night’s rest over all other obligations sometimes – academic or not. Without sleep, your ability to think clearly, pay attention, and use logic all fly out the window. And retaining information will become harder than it is already and studying becomes nearly impossible (unless you’ve consumed copious amounts of caffeine.)

At the end of the day, a good night rest will prove to sharpen your mind and ensure that you are ready to take on a full day of classes. Yay?

Skye Mandin is a Communications major at Simon Fraser University who is working towards a minor in everything. She enjoys long walks on the beach, running in the rain, chocolate milk, and good company. She plans to one-day travel the world in order to get immersed in culture, architecture, love, and adventure.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.