Part 2: How to Choose and Use Your Menstrual Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The menstrual cup, introduced in 1937, has become a serious contender in the tampons vs. pads debate starting at the beginning of the 21st century. This third-party, however, despite being arguably the best alternative, has not received much attention within the last 16 or so years. What attention it has received has primarily surrounded Diva Cup, only one of the many brands that sell menstrual cups.

There is a large variety of cups out there and it is important to consider some key factors to functionality in choosing one that will be perfect for your preferences. For a comprehensive guide to menstrual cups and how to choose them, you can visit this really great link.  Last week, I discussed the reasons to get a diva cup, but as for this week, here is a basic outline of, in my opinion, the four most relevant factors for finding one compatible with your vagina and preferences, and how to use and clean your cup.

Choosing Your Cup

Please note that the recommendations alongside these factors are completely generalized. Every woman is different. This guide will help you get an idea of what might work for you, but once you start using cups, you’ll get to better know what works best for you. 

1. How old you are or if you’ve given birth before

Most menstrual cup brands, such as Diva and Lunette, have two size options. The smaller size is recommended for women under 30 who have never given birth, and the larger size is recommended for women over 30 or that have previously given birth. This has nothing to do with vaginal size, but rather elasticity. This means a smaller cup could be a better fit for a woman over 30 or who has given birth before, but with especially strong pelvic floor muscles.

2. How high your cervix is

This can be measured by sticking a finger to the back of your vagina (do this on your period because your cervix height will be different while you’re menstruating than on a regular basis). It should feel like the tip of a nose. If you cannot reach it, then it sits high. If it sits around an inch into your vagina, then it is low. Anywhere in between is average. If your cervix sits high, then a longer cup is ideal; if it sits low, then you might want to try a shorter one; and if it’s average, most cups should work for you.

3. Stem

The stem is the long thin piece at the bottom of your menstrual cup. There are a wide variety of stems. Long stems, short stems, no stems. They simply aid you in removing your cup, although it is possible to do so without it. Some stems are balls or rings, flat, or just a simple solid or hollow tube. The Diva Cup has a short, hollow stem. Personally, I don’t use my stem in the removal of the cup; I find pinching the base of the cup easier. I would recommend getting a cup with a stem you think you would most like because you can always cut the stem off if you find it irritating.

4. Ribbing

Some menstrual cups are ribbed at the base or stem to provide a better grip in removal. The Diva Cup has this and I would highly recommend getting a cup that does. It makes your life so much easier.

Still feeling lost? Try this short quiz to help you out a little.

Using Your Cup

In the link provided, it is noted that a disadvantage of the menstrual cup is that they are messier. I’d like to note that, while having to rinse the blood out of your cup is messier than a tampon, after getting a hang of using it, I didn’t get a lot of blood everywhere. It helps to use toilet paper after you remove it to wipe down any stray blood around the outside before you rinse it. This avoids a mess on your hands.

The link provided outlines in detail the many strategies for folding and inserting your cup. I have tried a number, but the fold that works best for me is the C/U fold. I’ve found it to be the most simple and easy.

When ensuring the cup is open, it is recommended to rotate the cup. I have always had difficulty doing this. If you are in the same boat as me, I’ve found pulling the cup down a little or wiggling it a bit usually causes it to open if it hasn’t already, then you can just push it back up to where it should sit. If this fails, practice does help you get better at the rotation thing.

In the removal, like I mentioned earlier, I pinch the very base of the cup. This works like a charm for me. Kegels can be a great help too if needed. 

Cleaning Your Cup

Using your cup will ultimately lead to some discolouration. It’s just staining, it doesn’t mean your cup is dirty or not fit for use. To avoid this, though, always rinse your cup with cold water first because hot water can help the blood set and stain. Once you’ve rinsed the blood off, you can give it a more thorough rinse in warmer water for cleaning purposes. Letting your cup sit out in the sunlight can also help it return to its natural colour. The slight discolouration from staining, however, is not an actual issue beyond aesthetics.

Again, the link outlines a number of cleaning methods. The method that I have found works best for me is just simple rinses between changes, and boiling it in baking soda after each period. If you’re unable to boil after every period (if you’re living on residence and can’t exactly be doing that, for example), boiling it whenever you can is okay too. There have definitely been times where I’ve missed boilings and my cup is perfectly fine.

Emeralde is an undergrad at Simon Fraser University majoring in Resource and Environmental Management and English. Follow her on Instagram @emeralde.od for updates on her Between the Sheets series.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.