My Top 4 Wattpad Books That Aren’t Totally Cringe-Worthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

If you’re a huge book lover like I am, you’ve probably already heard of Wattpad. However, for those of you who (probably) don’t have as much spare time as I do, I’ll give you a brief explanation.

Essentially, Wattpad is an online community of readers and writers. Within this community, users can upload their own writing, and the readers are able to comment, share, and like. Wattpad does not have editors, so you can imagine some of the stories posted aren’t necessarily well-written. But, within the immense amount of stories on the platform, there are some hidden gems.

Of course, there are more great pieces than these four, but from everything I’ve read on Wattpad (which is a lot) these four – listed in no particular order – stand out the most to me. Full disclosure, I’m a fantasy fanatic, and rarely do I ever read anything related to realistic fiction. So, as you can expect, this list is solely fantasy-related stories. For those of you who only enjoy realistic fiction, I’m sorry. But, for the ones who share my love of the supernatural and fantastical – you’re welcome.

1. The Last Necromancer by CJ Archer

If you’re someone who’s into historical fiction and humans with supernatural abilities, you’ll absolutely love this book. The story focuses on Charlotte who, after accidentally raising the dead, is now living on the streets disguised as a boy. Charlotte manages to remain hidden in the slums of London until she reanimates the dead for the second time. After this incident, she gains the attention of a particular group of people who want to use her abilities to capture a dangerous madman.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and could hardly put it down once I began reading. The pacing of the plot can become a little rushed (at least I felt it was), but it is well-written and the characters are hilarious and interesting.

2. Sweet Madness by cold_lady19 

Sweet Madness centers around a boring, passive girl named Angeles who, unfortunately, catches the attention of a certain evil being. If you’re someone who’s into all sorts of creepy, terrible stories where evil (most likely) wins, you absolutely need to give this a read. My gosh, this book is crazy. It’s dark, it’s twisted, and it’s insanely good.

3. Nevermor by Lani_Lenore

So, this might be cheating, since Nevermor no longer has a full version on Wattpad. The author self-published this series and now only keeps book previews on Wattpad. But, it did use to be published in full on the reading platform, and I liked it so much I bought the e-book versions, so I’m including it. Essentially, the story is a dark, reimagining of the beloved story of Peter Pan. Although based on the old story, believe me when I say it truly takes a life of its own. If Peter Pan was a beloved childhood story of yours, I highly suggest you check out this book. Give the first few chapters a try on Wattpad, and maybe you’ll decide to buy the full book.

4. Code of Conduct by SerenityROse

If you’re a fan of vampires and all things dark and supernatural, you must give this series a try. Quick warning, there is a LOT of sex in this book. However, sex scenes are not the sole purpose in this story, there is a real plot-line with interesting characters and complex twists. The sex is simply an addition to the story. Yet, if you’re an individual who finds reading sex scenes between a wide range of people, perhaps this isn’t a book for you. The simple premise of this novel follows the character of Rose, who has lived vagrant (someone who does not live under the vampire law) her whole life. Once caught, Rose is forced to serve a vampire belonging to the council who enforced this code of conduct. Yet, the plot becomes more complicated once Rose begins serving this man and the other council members. Truly, I would recommend anyone who loves fantasy and supernatural-like stories to give this one a read. It really is a dark, complex, and interesting story.

Happy reading!

*Her Campus at SFU is in no way affiliated with Wattpad and all opinions in this article are of the authors 

Overly imaginative and a certified home-body, my love for reading and writing has brought me to Simon Fraser Universtiy to major in English and minor in Publishing. If my face isn't deep in a book, you'll find me spending time with my 3 pet birds, watching an absurd amount of YouTube, or wasting money on clothes.
.