January Must Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Welcome January! It is the start of the new year and you have the power to make it whatever you want. Along with this month comes some perks and downfalls.

Perks include: television shows returning, beautiful sunsets and sunrises, and overall a month to recuperate from the holiday season and prepare for the months to come.

Now, downfalls include: cold weather, dry skin, and flu season.

I have decided to compile a list of some things that could help you enjoy the month of January as it can sometimes be seen as an uneventful month after December was filled with holiday festivities, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve.

Included in this list are also some items that could help your skin and body survive the cold weather! It is important to make sure you are taking care of yourself and your skin.

1. Hand Lotion

Stop by your local “The Body Shop”, “Lush”, or drug store and pick up some hand lotion to keep your hands smooth and hydrated during the cold month.   

2. Hand Sanitizer

Super important to fight those pesky germs during flu season!

3. Hair Care

As someone with thick hair, sometimes the winter can make my hair feel a little dry.

So, some of my favourite products include:

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Insanely Smooth Leave-In Conditioner for frizzy dry hair, Garnier Whole Blends Smoothing Leave-In Conditioner with coconut oil and coconut butter to nourish, soften, and smooth hair, L’Orèal Paris Line Studio Hot & Big Volume Boosting heat spray, TRESemmè Thermal Creations heat protectant spray, and TRESemmè Keratin Smooth infusing serum.

4. Buy a journal or calendar!

Staying organized and writing down the memories that arrive this year is something that can make your new year a little more exciting and ready to take on.

5. Find a good book or television show

Starting something new and sticking to it throughout the year can keep you occupied and have something to help you relax throughout the long days.

I hope something on this list makes you feel a little better about this month! Happy January!

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a 19 year old Communication student at Simon Fraser University. I enjoy writing about what is going on in popular culture, beauty, and life in general. Aside from writing, I love baking, caramel macchiatos, music, and spending time with my loved ones. Growing up, I have always been interested in volunteering and finding ways to help make a difference in people's lives. I believe everyone has that one person that has impacted their life and I hope to be that person for someone. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do in the future, so come along and join my journey of navigating life! You can also reach me on Instagram (@emcookxox), Twitter (@emcookxo), and my personal blog here: https://emcookxo.wordpress.com/.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa