Style > Beauty

I’m In A Long-Term Relationship With These 4 Lush Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

As a person with contact dermatitis, I’ve had to be careful from a young age about what goes into my daily routine. Products from the drugstore almost never play nice with my skin. When you couple that with my need for eco-conscious packaging in beauty supplies, I’m often left spending more money than I’d like to on my skincare routine.

That’s where Lush comes in.

First off, they’re affordable and all of their products come in recyclable paper bags or refillable containers. That helps ease my single-use packaging guilt a bit. And because of their commitment to staying away from harmful preservatives, they put a reasonable expiry date on everything. That’s refreshing to see in a day and age where dangerous chemicals are the norm in the beauty industry.

To top it all off, the first Lush store opened right here in Vancouver which makes the company feel especially close to home for me.

If you’re looking to shake up your routine and are curious about Lush, here are 4 tried and true and totally non-sponsored products you’ll love:

Massage Bar: Therapy

This lotion bar goes on great after a warm shower and I love the feeling of it on my legs. It’s a gentle formula that’s heavy on hydration. If you suffer from dry skin like me, it’s a lifesaver. It’s also a great summer product when looking to give yourself a shiny, polished look.

Face Mask: Don’t Look at Me

I’m embarrassed about how dependent I am on this fresh face mask. My favourite part about it is how cool and soothing it feels when you take it out of the fridge. With lemon juice for toning and ground white rice for exfoliation, it’ll leave you fresh as a daisy after a mere fifteen minutes on your face. Just try to find it in store – it’s almost always sold out!

Lip Balm:None of Your Beeswax

For reasons unknown to me, my lips are especially prone to allergy. If I don’t treat them well, they tend to retaliate with either dryness or inflammation, and I’ve found that the beeswax in this product works wonders for me. One more reason to love this balm? The shea butter in it is 100% fair trade!

Just for Kicks: Sleepy Dust

Lavender is one of my favourite organic scents to induce relaxation, and that’s exactly what Sleepy Dust does! If you like your sheets (and yourself) to smell great before heading to bed, then this is a must-try. And as in added bonus, it’s got a longer shelf life than a lot of their other products and a little goes a long way!

I know that Lush is most known for their iconic bath bombs, but I purposely avoided them here. I wanted to give love to some of their other great products that have so much to offer. On that note, I hope you’ve found something here that spiked your curiosity. If you haven’t, go into a store and take a look around next time you’re near one. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Lush over the years, it’s that they love sending everyone home with free samples!

Sydney (she/her or they/them) is a Psychology Major at SFU with a focus in Behavioral Neuroscience. She is passionate about women's physical and mental health and LGBTQ+ issues. In her free time, she is a classical musician and avid long distance runner.