Here’s What You Missed at Fully Booked with HC’s First Meeting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The time finally arrived for the first installment of our book club and can I say that I haven’t had that much fun in a while! Thank you to everyone who showed up and to those who couldn’t make it, don’t worry, we have your back! Here is all the tea you missed with the first fifty pages of “everything I know about love” by Dolly Alderton!

First things first, we have to address the elephant in the room. How does Dolly find all the time to live her “sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll” lifestyle while attending school? At the bookclub, we all were in awe of how she is able to handle university with a wild party life and then get into a master’s degree program. Truly incredible. 

The conversation turned into us comparing our lives at SFU with Dolly’s in England and how different everything seems. It is no secret that SFU is a commuter school and really lacks a party community compared to literally every other school in Canada, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Of course it’s not a bad thing to go out and party, but we see by the end of the first fifty pages that Dolly herself starts to regret some of her choices and habits. There is no right or wrong way to live your life, but maybe we could all use a little bit of fun in our lives at SFU.

On a sadder note (don’t worry it’s not too sad), we all discussed money and how Dolly was able to afford her party and student lifestyle. Tuition and alcohol are not cheap, in fact, both of them are incredibly expensive. Yet, Dolly seems to be able to keep herself afloat. Of course, she lives in a completely different time frame and country than us, but it is a little sad to think that because of tuition and housing prices in Vancouver, we may have to say no to outings with friends. Everything is so unaffordable in Vancouver that it makes living just a little bit difficult and that is sad, but what can we do about it besides marrying a rich heir or heiress.

One question I asked everyone is if you had unlimited resources would you live a life similar to Dolly’s? Some said yes, some said no. For me, I think I could handle maybe a week before my body would crash. Would you live a life like Dolly’s if you could? Or do you already?

Last point we touched on is social media use. Near the beginning of the book, Dolly writes about MSN and her past usernames. We all shared some of our past cringey usernames from snapchat and instagram which was a great laugh. As a kid, I would have email addresses of my full name, Kiara Alexander, and then a random animal at the end. For what reason? I have no idea. 

And there you have it folks, that is everything you missed at our first meeting of Fully Booked with Her Campus. If you weren’t able to attend the last session that is alright! You are more than welcomed to attend our next meeting in 3 weeks time. All you need to do is read up to the chapter “Recipe: Apple Pizza With Can’t Be Arsed Ice Cream” and show up at our meeting ready to discuss.

Can’t wait to see you all soon! Happy reading!

Kiara is an International Studies major concentrating in International Security and Conflict with a minor in Labour Studies at Simon Fraser University.