Every Place Inspires: Meet Fuyu Li

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Name: Fuyu Li

Age: 22

Hometown: China

Going to high school in New Zealand and coming to Vancouver over 3 years ago, Fuyu Li loves experiencing different communities and diverse cultures. She was currently running for InspireSFU as a Faculty Rep for Applied Sciences. Whether she is networking or discovering new coffee shops, Fuyu took time out of her busy schedule and spontaneous adventures to sit with me and chat about what she is up to!  

Q: Thank you for sitting and chatting with me! What is your major and how has it impacted your experience at SFU?

I am still in general studies for Applied Studies, I came from New Zealand to here and the workload is a lot faster. The workload is more than I was used to and it was hard to keep up the pace but it has not affected my experience at SFU. I am very involved and like to form study groups with friends and have met really good friends here. I believe university is not what you learn but how you think critically and building important relationships for the future to make the experience more memorable.

Q: What other clubs are you in at SFU?

I am currently the president/have been on the executive team for the SRC. I am also currently going through the process of joining the business fraternity at SFU. I was a residence orientation leader to help people, especially freshmen, transition into residence life and like to help organize events. I have also helped promote with Brooked Events. I have been part of something called “ReachOut” that has different speakers and have people share their powerful and strong stories that gives the motivation to empower.

Q: So I saw you were running for InspireSFU, how was that experience for you?

It was crazy and it helps make students know us and our goals. It was raised ethical and motivated individuals. Candidates came into the election with past experiences as well that could have benefits. InspireSFU has inspired me to be involved and create individual projects to help student societies. In the process, I met people I want to work with and made connections. You get the power and motivation to help others. I was hesitant to run at first but had a team and friends that supported me and helped me see that I would be a good leader as a representative. I gave my best and whatever turns out is okay. Working with different people with different mindsets and qualifications made me look at things differently. I have been involved in a lot of different communities and can help Applied Sciences see what they can learn from others. I want to focus on student empowerment and gain tangible leadership skills. Everyone has personal power, but if everyone works together towards what they want to do they can achieve anything.

Q: What inspires you?

My involvement in different cross cultural communities and meeting those people who bring different perspectives and values working towards the same goals. Communication with others brings us together and builds a new community. Empowering women motivate me and bringing individuals together where we share those common things and learn from each other. There will and has been ups and downs but someone is always there to support you. You find your space and don’t lose your motivation and values even if results are important. It is all a learning process and what you do or speak reflects on who you are

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

My friends call me spontaneous. I like discovering new places around Vancouver even by myself. I like Gastown, the art gallery, jazz music, going to vintage record stores, and coffee shops. I have also done the second highest skydiving in New Zealand.

Fuyu Li is one to watch and I know will go on to do great and inspiring things!

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a 19 year old Communication student at Simon Fraser University. I enjoy writing about what is going on in popular culture, beauty, and life in general. Aside from writing, I love baking, caramel macchiatos, music, and spending time with my loved ones. Growing up, I have always been interested in volunteering and finding ways to help make a difference in people's lives. I believe everyone has that one person that has impacted their life and I hope to be that person for someone. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do in the future, so come along and join my journey of navigating life! You can also reach me on Instagram (@emcookxox), Twitter (@emcookxo), and my personal blog here: https://emcookxo.wordpress.com/.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa