Dorothy Ng

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Dorothy Ng. Recognize her name? If so, you’ve probably seen or heard of her. She is a third year Political Science student and is doing a certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Dorothy is currently the President of the Society of Arts and Social Sciences at Simon Fraser University, and a Student Senator at SFU.  You may have also seen her as your Frosh Captain, your TA in BUS 238, a Marketing Manager for TEDxSFU, or as a member of Enactus SFU

I met Dorothy during my first year at SFU. To say the least, she is one of the hardest working students I have ever met. Every university student knows that balancing school and work is hard, but the way that Dorothy does it is impeccable.

Dorothy is the type of person that makes others want to get involved in their schools. During my first few years of university, she would always be the first to let everyone know about opportunities that she believed would suit me. Also, she’s super approachable, so if you don’t even know her, you should still say hi! 

I had the wonderful opportunity of working with Dorothy during the past year in our involvements with TEDxSFU and the Society of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS). For those that don’t know much about TEDxSFU, we just had our annual TEDxSFU conference at the Vancouver Playhouse. 

Her leadership skills are undeniable. Being able to work with her in a team, you get to learn so much from her ability to keep their cool even under circumstances where things can go wrong. That, to me, is good leadership, and that is exactly what Dorothy displays. 

Recently I sat down with Dorothy to ask her some questions about her involvement with TEDx, Enactus and SASS.

What is your favourite thing about SFU?
The flexibility of my degree—I’m currently studying Political Science and doing a Certificate in Innovation & Entrepreneurship. I love the options and how I can pick what I want to do.  I also love the locations. SFU has 3 campuses, all in 3 different cities. Since I grew up in Vancouver, I never had the opportunity to go to Surrey or to Burnaby Mountain until I became a student at SFU.

What is SASS?
SASS is the Society of Arts and Social Sciences. We’re a platform for different FASS departments to share ideas and build relationships between their students and between like-minded faculties at schools across the country. We represent and advocate for the diverse needs and interests of FASS students to the Faculty Administration and to the Simon Fraser Student Society. We’re always working to build the FASS community by encouraging communication and debate and the exchange of experiences and skills. We also plan events like SASSquatch Frosh, 90’s Night, Arts Formal, and movie nights. 

Tell us more about your role as president of SASS.
The President is elected by undergraduate students within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. My role includes leading a team of 7 SASS Executive Committee members in ensuring organizational effectiveness by conducting biweekly meetings and personal development sessions. We are the liaison between SASS, Department Student Unions, the SFSS, and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at SFU and it is our job to help increase student engagement and involvement. SASS also does the planning of SASSquatch 2015, a three-day-two-night welcome event for 115 first-year students, while managing 15 student volunteers with a budget of $17 000.

How did you get involved with Enactus and TEDxSFU?
I’ve been involved with Enactus SFU since my first year of university. I had originally considered joining a different club, but I missed their application deadline. I decided to walk around during Clubs Day, and the President at the time told me to attend Enactus SFU’s Fall Kickoff event to learn more about the organization. I went, fell in love with the organization’s emphasis on the triple bottom line (social, environmental, and economic impact), and the rest is history! The roles I’ve held include: Banner Bags Education Coordinator, Director of Marketing, National Exposition Presenter, Regional Exposition Presentation Coach, and Social Ambassador for Enactus Canada.

In regards to TEDxSFU, “Leading with Lollipops” has redefined leadership for me in how I approach teamwork. TED and TEDx Talks inspire me, and I felt a personal connection to TEDxSFU because of this. I also wanted to develop my marketing skills and felt that this would be a great opportunity because I had never taken part in the planning of a large-scale event before.

How do you believe that students can be more engaged?
If you wait until you’re ready, you’ll never be ready. There will always be things you don’t know. There will always be people who are better than you in certain areas, but you can’t let that deter you from trying. Recognize that engagement comes in all forms—you can volunteer at a soup kitchen, tutor students, join an intramural team, or attend pub nights hosted by your departmental student union. Engagement isn’t about who you are now, it’s about who you can become by exploring these opportunities. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Engaged to a fun-loving human. Also about to start my MBA program at wherever life takes me. #startuplife.

Any fun facts about yourself? 
I love ketchup, but I hate tomatoes. I love ketchup so much, I’ll eat it out of the packet. I also love cucumbers, but I hate pickles. I can rap “Superbass” by Nicki Minaj, and I have an unhealthy obsession with Mickey Mouse.

Diane is currently in her third year of Political Science and Communication at SFU. She aspires to work for the United Nations one day. She is a self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan, and adores french bulldogs. You can find her at @deechieng on Instagram and Twitter!