Christina Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Christina Thompson is one busy lady, being a full-time student working on a business degree, as well as working part-time at David’s Tea. On top of that, she is heavily involved in a number of school clubs, and is constantly on the move – yet, her busy schedule doesn’t get her down. She is always willing to stop and chat, and is one of the nicest people you could hope to run into on campus. 

The basics:

Major: Business
Year: 3rd year
Hometown: Abbotsford

Why did you choose to get into your major? What drew you to it?
I choose my major because it is very practical. Since I am still not sure what I want to do with my life yet, I want a degree that provides flexibility and can apply to almost anything I need once I graduate. I was drawn to SFU Business School because of the amount of flexibility and opportunities it provides to its students.

What is your greatest passion in life?
My greatest passion in life, other than my extreme passion for animals, is my passion for others. I am a part of UNICEF SFU and I enjoy getting involved to raise awareness about children who do not have the same opportunities as most.

I know you are involved in some clubs. What are they?
UNICEF SFU and Model UN are my main two that I am involved in. However, I like staying up to date with Red Cross, MIS Association, and of course Her Campus!

What is Model UN? Why would you recommend it to others?
Model UN is a club that provides a forum for students interested in discussing international relations and events, while facilitating access to conferences, events, fundraisers, and other related activities. I would highly recommend people join because it is a fun social environment that allows people to learn about the world and make new friends interested in similar things.

What sorts of activities do you do for Model UN?
Well, as President I coordinate everything that goes on in the club, from our Clubs Day tabling to funding and conferences. However, general members get to the opportunity to help plan events, participate in debates, and represent SFU at different conferences.

If students wanted to know more about Model UN, how could they get more info?
To get more info about the club, they can email us at sfu.modelun@gmail.com, like us on Facebook, or find us when we table at Clubs Days.

Fun question: What is your favourite country to portray in Model UN, and why?
I have never participated in a Model UN before, which is probably not a great thing for the President of a Model UN club to say, but my school district in high school never had one. If I had to choose though, I think Switzerland because it’s a very neutral country.

How do you want to use your business degree? What sort of job would you like to pursue with it?
I want to use my business degree to help others. I think being a paralegal will be one of the first things I would look into doing after I graduate until I can transition into law school.

And after that? What is your dream job?
My dream job is to work for the United Nations bringing technology to developing countries. I find technology has changed Canadian culture to help educate people more by accessing more resources, and I feel everyone around the world should have that same opportunity.

Erin Huxley is a fourth year English student at SFU, who strongly believes that there is nothing that a good book and cup of tea cannot fix. She is a not-so-secret crazy cat lady, who loves nothing more than a good game of soccer and a rousing story, no matter the medium.