Choosing a Major Can Be Difficult – But It Doesn’t Have To Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Coming from parents with a strong background in science – my mother a chemistry lab tech and my father a microbiologist – it was always a no-brainer for me that I would chose to pursue a degree in the field myself. I hoped to become a doctor, but upon my first semester at SFU I realized that the sciences were not for me. I had no interest in my future and I was feeling lost. I felt that I was the only one on campus that was feeling this way, but I was told that this was a common occurrence for many people that enroll in university. Lucky for students, there are many services available at SFU to help dig people out of the overwhelming feeling of having to choose a major.

Academic Advisors:  Booking an appointment with an academic advisor is beneficial for a student who have an idea of the subjects that they are interested in. Even if you are unsure of what to major in an academic advisor can help you in choosing classes with similar topics covered, double- and joint-majors, and even help of choosing WQB classes. Advisors can be reached by appointment, drop-in, or by a LiveChat. Plus everything that you and your academic advisor talk about will be noted and sent to you (in case you need to refer back to it when planning for courses in the future)!

Academic Advising Contact

Career Counselling:

A meeting with a career counsellor is more than just sitting down to discuss what job you would like when you graduate. They also have options to help you build and format resumes, review grad school applications, and conduct mock interviews. They are available to help students no matter what point they are at in their schooling.

Students Career Contact

How I Met My Major: 

I attended this workshop last year when I had no idea where my life was leading me, and I walked away relieved that I wasn’t the only person who was feeling as confused as I was. In the workshop they ask important questions about your interests, your valuable skills, and how they can be brought together to create the best degree path for you.

How I Met My Major

7 Minute Majors:

This is an easy way to chat with different students and faculty members who are in different departments at SFU. From listening to their different stories, you get to learn about what different degrees entail, how they teach them, and even potential volunteer, co-op, or field school opportunities within those degrees.

7 Minute Majors

What Can I Do with A Degree In…?

If you are curious about what type of job you can get with a degree in archaeology or education or even biomedical physiology, this site is one to check out. After clicking on a suspected major, an entire list of potential careers is shown. Although it doesn’t show all of the opportunities that are available to a potential person who is educated in this field, it does provide enough options to get a good idea of the possibilities that are out there – or lay the groundwork for further research.

What can I do with a Degree In…?

Annelise is a second year student at SFU. She is hoping to pursue a degree is English and Communications, even though she has changed her mind umpteen times this year. Being very passionate in creating means Annelise has many hobbies. She has been dancing since she was five years old, and has been knitting and playing guitar for almost a decade. When she is taking a break form studying, she is most likely picking up one of these activities or playing with her yellow Labrador, Odin. Annelise hopes that you enjoy what she writes. She has always loved telling stories and hopes you laugh, find something to connect with or even find something to think about in her articles.
.