Cheap, Last-Minute Valentines Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Wanting to show your lover your romantic side doesn’t mean breaking the bank. For those who are burdened with school, work, extracurricular activities, and a limited financial situation (student loans, anyone?), here are some cheap but romantic ways to swoon your lover.

1. Plan a romantic night in. 

Go to Lush and get the Tisty Tosty bath bomb (it’s heart-shaped and infused with rose petals), plus a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine. Give each other massages and enjoy each other’s company. 

2. Watch the sunset and go stargazing. 

Cheesy, but romantic. If the weather allows it, find a spot at a park or a rooftop, bring a blanket and a bottle of something, and watch the sun go to sleep and the stars wake up.

3. Make an at-home cinema and have an indoor picnic. 

Like breakfast in bed, but better! Set up candles, blankets, and some snacks, and use this tutorial to plan a movie binge-watching session with your other half. It’s essentially a more thoughtful spin on the classic dinner-and-movie cliché.

4. Robson Square ice skating and hot chocolate.

Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a romantic skate with your special someone. This free public ice rink in the heart of downtown is open from 12pm to 9pm. You can bring your own skates or rent a pair for just $4. After your skate, grab some hot chocolate at one of the 59 cafés that are hosting Vancouver’s 6th annual Hot Chocolate Festival.

5. Tour the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens. 

Open from 10am to 4pm, surround yourself with the beauty of nature in the heart of Vancouver. Stop to admire the scenery, and even take the opportunity to sneak in a cheeky kiss. Admission is only $8!

6. Attend the Lunar Festival.

Stop by the Vancouver Art Gallery Plaza to attend this free festival and celebrate one of the oldest traditions for many Asian cultures. Enjoy crafts, games, food and culture with your date this weekend. More information about the event can be found here

7. Make chocolates.

Making your own chocolates is easier than you’d think. There are tons of simple and delicious recipes available, from peanut butter cups to chocolate truffles.

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french.