8 Fall Activities You Cannot Miss in Vancouver This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The leaves are changing colours, the days are getting colder, and students are stuck inside studying for midterms. Why not take a break from studying, get out of the house, and enjoy the beautiful fall scenery! Here are 8 awesome fall events and activities that Vancouver is hosting this year:

1. Visit a Pumpkin Patch or Corn Maze

Ahh, the pumpkin patch! This is a great way to reminisce about your elementary school field trip days, but still have fun as an adult! Get a group of friends together, pick out your perfect pumpkin, run through the corn maze, and take cute fall pictures for your Instagram account! Could it get any more fall than that?! Check out Laity Pumpkin Patch in Maple Ridge, or Southland Farms in Vancouver.

2.  Fright Nights at the PNE

If you enjoy haunted houses, carnival rides, and being chased by people in spooky costumes, then Fright Nights are a great way to get away from studying for a little while. You definitely do not want to miss out this classic Vancouver Halloween event this year!

3.  Ride the Ghost Train in Stanley Park

A relatively cheap, but still festive Halloween activity is the Ghost Train Rides in Stanley Park. This year’s train theme is Alien Invasion, and sounds totally awesome to my inner sci-fi nerd! You definitely have to check out the live performers in costume and cool Halloween sets that they’ll be having this year.

4. Fall Farmer’s Markets

If you’re less impressed by the scary Halloween activities, a fun way to spend your weekend afternoon is to browse a local fall farmer’s market. It is so fun to wander around and find cute handmade art or pick up some fresh fruits and veggies. Check out the market in Kitsilano or the West End if you’re interested!

5. Take the Haunted Trolley Tour in Gastown

The Haunted Trolley Tour in Vancouver is an event more on the more expensive side, but is still on most Vancouverite’s fall bucket lists. This spooky tour explains Vancouver’s terrifying history while taking you for a ride through some of the most popular parts of downtown.  

6. Potter’s House of Horrors

This one is definitely for the girl who loves getting scared. Potter’s House of Horrors in Surrey features two haunted houses that will for sure get you screaming. This year their themed houses are “Monstrosity” and “Devil’s Decent”. Get a group of your friends together for a fun and festive night out– also so you’ll have people to hide behind if it gets too scary!    

7. Thrift shopping for fall outfits/Halloween costumes

One of my absolute favourite parts about fall, or any season for that matter, is shopping! Without breaking the bank, thrift shopping is a fun and affordable way to stock up on those cute oversized sweaters you’ve been lusting over, or even find inexpensive pieces for your Halloween costume.

8. Halloween Movie Marathon

Finally, if you’re just in the mood for a relaxing night in, cuddle up with a bowl of popcorn and your favourite Halloween or horror movies. Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown are a must-watch for me every year. So…sit back, relax, and let the stress of midterms float away – or at least for about two hours while you’re enjoying your movie!

Hello there! My name is Genevieve Gignac. I am currently a 2nd year Communications student at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. My favourite articles to write are about fashion, beauty, pop culture, and current events. Originally, I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, but I moved with my family to Vancouver when I was 11 years old. My hobbies include keeping active by hiking or doing pilates at the gym, hanging out with my family and friends, and binging my favourite shows on Netflix. After university, I aspire to use my Communication degree to work in PR, events co-ordinating, and social media. You can keep up with my articles here, or follow me on Instagram: @genevieve_gignac
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa