6 tips to write a killer cover letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

We have all experienced the dreadful task of having to write a cover letter (or several) to land jobs we really wanted or to land jobs, we didn’t really want but hey we need to get that coin somehow. What if I told you I can make your cover writing sessions less bothersome and more enjoyable? Here are 6 tips to write a killer cover letter:

1. Review the job posting thoroughly.

An incredibly useful advice to remember when applying for jobs is that most companies have set up an algorithm to “comb” through resumes and only deliver the ones with the most number of identical ‘keywords’. These may include but are not limited to good at multitasking, strong customer service skills, and proficiency in Microsoft suites. To fully grasp the job criteria, identify what kind of tasks and responsibilities are expected of you for the position. Split the screen so you have both your cover letter and job posting side by side for a more effective readability.

2. Discuss why you want the job AND why you think you’re the best fit for the position.

The desire to make money is considered to be a natural human instinct – not necessarily to be rich enough to buy an island but we need money to secure the most basic needs to survive. Having said that, is that a good reason to tell a potential boss why you are after the job you are applying for? “Because I’m broke and I’m surviving off two egg sandwiches a day” doesn’t exactly convey professionalism. It may be the truth but the embellishment of cover letters is intrinsic to itself. Explain why you want the job whether it be to enhance your skills or to immerse yourself in a new environment. Once you have figured out why you want the job in the first place, you can discuss why you are the best fit for the position based on past skills and experiences.

3. Add some ‘heat’ to your cover letter.

A career advisor once told me to ‘up the temperature’ of my cover letter. Staring in confusion, I asked him if that’s his way of telling me to set my cover letter on fire and start over. Just kidding, that’s a safety hazard and I wouldn’t want to add to the greenhouse gasses our dear earth is constantly struggling with. Although he did explain afterwards that my cover letter needed a little “jazzing up” which inherently means I needed to draw more attention to HOW my skills are important rather than why. Upping the temperature is essentially adding numbers or titles (e.g assisted 400 students with different inquiries, worked closely on month-long projects with the Vice President/Chief executive/General manager). By doing this, you are drawing attention to your contributions in your previous occupations.

4. Highlight past job experiences that specifically corresponds the most to the job you are applying to.

It is not required not encouraged to talk about all of your past job experiences since cover letters are recommended to be a little less than a page long. This is because employers simply do not have the time to read any longer than that, you aren’t the only applicant after all. To keep your cover letter concise, focus on one or two past positions that you feel corresponds to the job you are applying to the most – whether it be similar skills were needed, similar environment or similar pace of work. If an employer is attracted to your resume, your cover letter should build on that and further impress them into wanting to schedule an interview with you. But they won’t bother with reading a cover letter that is two or more pages long with unnecessary information.

5. Your letterheads and spacing should be consistent with your resume for easy reading.

This tip may seem insignificant but inconsistency in letterheads and spacing shows lack of detail and poor Microsoft Word skills. When going through a tall stack of applications, little things like this can be one of the determining factors of what separates a professional employee from an amateur one. It is such an easy thing to do but it carries a huge impact in how you are being viewed by your potential manager.

6. Try to make yourself look good but NEVER sound cocky.

The whole point of cover letters is to embellish your skills and make yourself look good – sometimes too good – to the employer. Although I don’t condone lying on job applications, a little ‘facelift’ to your cover letter doesn’t hurt anyone. Just make sure you are capable of all these qualifications you are plastering all over the word document. An important thing to remember is that although making yourself stand out is vital to getting a job you want, never come off as boastful. You may not realize or intend to come off that way, but there is a fine line between confident and cocky. So please feel free to showcase how awesome of an employee you are, without sounding like a smug little.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa