This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The end of the semester is approaching and sometimes this can be a synonym for burning whipping cream-topped hot chocolates at 3 am or #fml Instagram posts featuring tons of sheets spread all over the table of a university library; sometimes, finals season implies lots and lots of anxieties slowly resurfacing, like the too-clean-to-wash-too-dirty-to-hang clothes piling up under your bed, too often mistaken for a freaky monster when you’re on your way back from a midnight snack.

If, like me, you need something to distract you in-between your many study sessions, go ahead and give these 5 winter activities a try!

Skating

We live in Canada after all! Although movies too often advertise the typical Canadian lifestyle as popping out for a quick skate in your perfectly frozen backyard pond, the Vancouver reality is that you will probably have to walk a little to reach the closest ice rink. But do not fret, pretty much all community centers are equipped with an ice rink and they offer public skating almost all day every day. You don’t even need to purchase skates, since most rinks have rentals available. That said, I deeply recommend checking out Facebook Marketplace if you become addicted to the sport and find yourself going to the rink more often than you order takeout (odd way to measure things but you know what I’m talking about!)

Knitting

Okay, this does give off major grandma vibes, but trust me, kitting can be an incredibly soothing activity. Who knows? Maybe you’ll love knitting so much that you’ll give everyone in your family the same white chunky blanket for the holidays… I know I probably will!

Skiing

This is not a cheap, easy activity. Nevertheless, if you know how to ski and/or snowboard (or not), it is incredibly fun! You can easily purchase a half-day ticket at a relatively close ski area like Grouse Mountain and have some fun in the snow.

Go to a hockey game

Although the hockey season starts in the fall, it goes on throughout the winter and there are plenty of chances to attend a game with your friends, family or even on your own. The cool and cheerful atmosphere of the bustling arena is always a fun and entertaining experience! And wait til the home team scores and the crowd goes wild!

Hike

Even though you’ll definitely need some proper winter hiking gear, BC is full of amazing places you can safely visit in the winter. Just make sure you are not going on your own and you have packed enough snacks and warm drinks!

Exam sessions can be extremely stressful and tiring, so make sure you dedicate some time to distract yourself with some joyful activities like these ones!

Ally is majoring in Linguistics and minoring in International Studies. She loves to do yoga, pilates and take long walks down the beach. When she’s not studying, she’s probably baking a chocolate cake!