5 Alternative Ideas to a Valentine’s Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

February 14th can be a day that some long for, whilst others would prefer to run and hide from it. For all the ladies out there, who don’t have a counterpart, whilst you could sit in self-pity there are some great alternatives to boost your mood and not be so anti-Valentine’s! On the bright side, you don’t need to worry about the pressure of having a ‘perfect date’ and the expectations of getting the perfect gift. No one knows you better than yourself, so why not plan something that you can enjoy with whomever you choose!

1. Celebrate Galentines!

Popularly known as a day to spend with your girlfriends, Galentines is a great opportunity to get together and celebrate. Some popular ideas include: hosting a potluck, doing an activity, going on a day trip, cooking up a fancy dinner, or hitting the bar.

2. Do something you love

Whether it’s indulging with your best friend or spending some time alone, doing something you love can always make a day more enjoyable. From a spa day to a shopping spree or whatever makes your heart content, there are lots of ways to deter from the ‘day of love’ and focusing on yourself and well-being.

3. Binge your favourite TV show

With a couple snacks and a (large) glass of wine you’ll be set for a night-long Netflix binge. To shake things up, try out a genre you wouldn’t usually choose or check out one of the great documentaries Netflix has to offer.

4. Grab dinner and a movie

A classic that never gets old. Grabbing a bite out with your friends and family is a great way to socialize and keep your mind off things. After an indulging dinner, check out some of the latest movies out in theatres! Note: the last of the trilogy, Fifty Shades Freed is out in theatres February 9th!

5. Explore and enjoy

Why not jump on the chance to try something new? From concerts to hikes, and city events you can almost always find something you haven’t done before. Sometimes it only takes stepping out your neighborhood to see things and places you never knew existed. Vancouver’s Daily Hive highlights countless things you can do in Vancouver this month!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa