This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, now’s the perfect time to pick up a romantic book! I love this time of the year because I see it as a great opportunity to show yourself some extra self-care and kindness (no matter your relationship status); my way to do that is by taking the time to read my worries away. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a lonely time, especially for those of us who are not going to celebrate it in a romantic way, which is why I’ll be reviewing 12 books from TikTok’s romance section that have caught my attention so you don’t have to worry about going on a blind date with your next read!

‘The Spanish Love Deception’ by Elena Armas

Catalina needs a date for her sister’s wedding after being single for far too long; not wanting to go alone, she plans to take a random someone as her “date”. With the faking dating trope and no one other than Mr. Aaron Blackford himself, this book seems to have had booktok in a chokehold for a while. I would rightfully argee because despite reading it over a year ago, I simply can’t get Mr.Blackford out of my mind.

‘The Love Hypothesis’ by Ali Hazelwood

Olive, a PhD student in STEM starts to fake date her young professor after accidentally convincing others they’re dating because of a kiss. Although I haven’t read this title yet, it vaguely reminds me of the Spanish Love Deception… who am I to say no to some academia romance?

‘Neon Gods’ by Katee Robert

I would argue that this is one of the best modern retellings of Hades and Persephone’s romance “that’s as sinful as it is sweet.” 

‘It Ends with Us’ by Colleen Hoover

While this book does have a trigger warning because of its portrayal of an abusive relationship, it wouldn’t be much of a romance recommendation article without some anst by Colleen Hoover. I recently finished reading this and I will say, TikTok didn’t lie; tissues are a must!

‘The Trouble with Hating You’ by Sajni Patel

Despite being another one on my tbr, my friend just completed it and told me I have to try it. Disclaimer: there is a trigger warning on sexual assult but… a book with strong Indian representation and a strong female lead challenging cultural norms while falling in love? Sign me up!

From Lukov with Love’ by Mariana Zapata

This is actually my new read for the week so I can’t say much yet. This book is filled with a slow-burn, sports romance between two rival figure-skaters who pair together to compete in the championships. Rest assured, they do fall for each other, but not without some major-class drama. 

‘The Song of Achilles’ by Madeline Miller 

As an adaptation of Homer’s Iliad, set in the world of Greek Mythology, this book is a massive tearjerker; the hidden love story between Achilles and Patroclus will definitely make you a little emotional.

‘Anna and the French Kiss’ by Stephanie Perkins

Although this book isn’t nearly as advertised as I’d expect it to be on TikTok and a definite  hidden gem in my eyes, it was a quick, cute, fluffy read. Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but if you’re half the hopeless romantic I am, you’ll find yourself immersed in our characters’ French reality.

‘Reminders of Him’ by Colleen Hoover 

Released in January of this year, this is the most recent book published by Colleen Hoover and since the beginning has exploded on TikTok. In this romantic book, we follow a troubled mother at her shot for redemption for love. Definitely another one for the tbr!

‘You’ve Reached Sam’ by Dustin Thao

After the death of her boyfriend Sam, Julie is broken until she reaches him over a phone call and we are taken down their journey as she decides whether to let him go or reveal to his family that she can reach him. 

‘Punk 57’ by Penelope DouglAs

This may appear as a high-school romance that can be found in Indigo’s #BookTok section, but proceed with caution because you’ll surely need a moment to breathe. This slow-burn romance isn’t for the faint of heart!

‘A Thousand Boy Kisses’ by Tille Cole

In this teary childhood-friends-to-lovers standalone, we learn the most important life lesson about love no one can prepare you for. I’m so glad this book finally got some well-deserved attention after years. 

Manpreet is a Psychology student at Simon Fraser University and also happens to be a heavy baker of anything sweet and a hopeless romantic by heart. When she is not busy reading, writing, working part-time, or drinking wine, she can be found with her high school friends planning something.