This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

World Suicide Prevention Day is September was earlier this week on Sept. 10th

Suicide claims the lives of up to 800,000 people each year. But it doesn’t have to, because suicide is preventable.

Signs that you or someone you love is having suicidal thoughts:

-moodiness

-extreme isolation

– sudden changes in personality or appearance

-threatening to hurt themselves

-depression

-sleeping more than usual/skipping class more than usual

– increased alcohol and drug use

It’s important to talk to your friends and check on them, sometimes someone who is suicidal can be outwardly very happy and have an outgoing disposition but really need someone to listen to them because they’re hurting.

Preventing Suicide

1. Approach them if you notice that they are acting different or unusually sad, ask them “Are you okay? I’m worried about you?”
  2. Offer to help them, or just to sit down and talk with them.
  3. Provide them with a number to the Suicide Help Hotline

Remember it is ALWAYS okay to ask for help, and no problem is too small to reach out to someone. Don’t be embarrassed to tell someone what’s upsetting you, we are all in this together. You matter, you are not alone, and you are loved

Photo Credits: LaShauna Bell

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-(800)-273-8255

SFA Counseling Services is located on the 3rd floor of the Rusk Building (936)-468-2401

Reference: https://www.niznikhealth.com/post/suicide-prevention-week-tips

My name is Arkadyia Mills, I’m 21 years old and I am a junior majoring in Rehabilitation Services with a minor in Addiction Studies! I’m new to HerCampus this year and I’m so excited! I have a 6 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix named Max and I’m originally from Galveston,Texas!
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.