What We Can Do to Prevent Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

In light of the accusations against Harvey Weinstein, it is important to understand how to prevent sexual assault and how to respond to sexual assault survivors. According to RAINN.org, College women are three times more likely to be a victim of sexual violence and only 20% report to law enforcement. It’s easy to feel helpless when everyday reports of sexual harassment and violence are at the front page of the news, but each and every one of us has a role to play in changing the harmful culture that we live in.

Steps You Can do to Prevent Sexual Assault

RAINN uses the C.A.R.E. method of bystander intervention. You would use this method is for example, you see someone at a party being hit on by another person and they are visibly uncomfortable. To help the person at risk you can do one of several options such as create a distraction, ask them directly if they need help, refer to an authority like a bartender or even a police officer, or enlist the help of others. To read more about this visit. RAINN.org

There’s also several smartphone apps that were designed to prevent sexual assault.

Circle of Six is an app designed for use on college campuses that quickly puts you in contact with six people of your choosing if you are in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation.

Kitestring is another personal safety app, but instead of relying on the user to type out a message, it alerts others if you don’t check in.

Lumberjack Guardian is an app developed by the Nacogdoches Department of Safety for Stephen F. Austin students. The app has many useful features including a “panic button” and can put you in immediate connection with campus police.

While it is important to do all that we can to protect our fellow students it is just as important to examine why sexual assault is so prevalent, especially among college campuses. Rape Culture is defined as “an environment in which rape is prevalent and in which sexual violence against women is normalized and excused in the media and popular culture.” (marshall.edu) It’s not always blatant as to who is perpetuating it. Rape culture can manifest in victim blaming, crude comments about a way a person is dressed, or simply tolerating sexual aggression. If you see someone acting in this way, especially if the person is close to you, call them out on their behavior. Let them know it’s not okay to act like that. They may defend what they said or did as harmless, explain to them the impact their actions have on others.

Unfortunately, it is a sad truth that sometimes even when we take every precaution, sexual assault still happens. If a loved one discloses to you that they’ve been sexually assaulted, it’s essential for you to be supportive and non-judgmental

One of the most important steps in preventing sexual assault is to listen to survivors.  Here at HerCampus, we strive to amplify their voices. Andrea Powell is a SFA student who has decided to share her story with us. The video will be published on the HerCampus SFA site October 23rd.

Andrea Powell photo by Alexandra Pitman

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

Savannah Stewart is a creative writing major at Stephen F. Austin State University. When she's not writing you can find her playing Dungeons and Dragons or listening to a podcast. Twitter/Instagram: meadow_light
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.