Things You Must Try on Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

People have a misconception about doing things alone. Just because you are doing things alone doesn’t mean you are lonely. It actually means you are independent and go off and do things on your own with out the need of having others you know around you.

I think it’s important to try a few things on your own. It helps you get to know yourself a lot better, grow as a person and do a lot of self-reflection about your life and the people in it.

Here are a few things everyone should try to do on their own:

Travel to another city or country

Yes, the thought of going to an unknown place alone can be a bit scary, but honestly it is amazing. You have the freedom to explore anything you want, meet a lot of new people and just enjoy your time. From personal experience, it is very relaxing to just walk around on your own and do your own thing. It can be a bit intimidating, but it is a great experience to have at some point specially while in college. Remember to have a sort of plan of what where you want go and where you want to stay. This will make your travels a lot easier.

Go to a nice dinner

When do we just decide to get ready and look nice to go to a nice dinner alone? Rarely! This experience may seem a bit awkward but it’s actually really great! You get to enjoy a nice dinner alone and just think about your day and have a great meal along with it. Don’t be afraid to find a cool new restaurant and check it out on your own! 

Go to a museum and enjoy the art and culture

As someone who really enjoys museums, doing this is a lot of fun. Yes museums can take hours to walk around at but it is definitely well worth it. Do some research about the best museums in your city or where you are traveling to. This will kind of give you an idea of what type of museum you are going to. You can always find either coupons or students discounts for a lot of museums. 

Live by yourself

I have not had the opportunity to live on my own but from what I have seen this is a must do at some point in your life. Living on your own gives you the chance to mature and become an independent young adult. You learn to do a lot of things on your own like cleaning your whole place, paying rent, and many more things. This gives you insight of what life will be as an adult after college. If you ever have the chance instead of rooming with your best friends decide to have a place on your own I’m sure you will not regret it!

Go shopping and exploring 

If you ever have some free time instead of calling your friends to go shopping with you, go alone. This can be a relaxing activity to do every once in a while. It gives you the freedom to spend as long as you want inside a store or just walking around window shopping. It’s important to have an idea of what you are looking for so you don’t go crazy and buy out the store! This can be a pretty fun experience to have and to have some me time as well.

Being independent and mature is very important specially in college. These experiences will definitely help you grow as a person and get to know yourself a lot better. Just because someone is alone does not necessarily mean they are lonely. It means they are independent enough and mature enough to go off and do things in life by themselves. I recommend you try even some of the simplest things alone and you’ll understand how important and what a great experience it can be. 

My name is Tanya Moreno and I am a Junior International Business major at SFASU. I love to travel, and hope to be able to travel in my future job as well. I am very involved on campus and sometimes it can be too much for my own good. I am definitely a go-getter who loves Pinterest, my best frienf family and my job.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.