Things I’ve Learned as a Freshman in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: Ashlyn Eustace

I, like many others that attend SFA, are a first-generation college student. It’s easy to assume that it must be a scary thing to be the first in your family to move away, further your education and find your passion in life. However, there’s a few things I’ve learned that have helped me through my first year of college as a first-generation student.

1. It’s not “lame” to go to events on campus

For some odd reason, I have found that some people prefer not to attend events on campus, whether it be an event that is promoting involvement, or a 30-minute painting activity. At first, I was apprehensive because of my shy personality, but once I got out of my room and went to the first sporting event, I wasn’t afraid anymore. Even if you are going alone, you’re sure to have a good time. The events are designed to help you get out of your comfort zone and meet other students, and it only took me one time to realize that I would be missing out if I hadn’t gone.

2. Sitting by yourself is not uncommon

When I first came to college, I had to face one of my biggest fears- sitting alone in the dining hall. It took some time to understand that I was not the only person on campus who ate alone most days, but once you get into the groove of things, you’ll find that it doesn’t even phase you.

3. It’s okay to be homesick

On move in day, I was dreading the moment of saying goodbye to my family. For someone like me who is very, very close to my mom, it was a difficult day. It came as a surprise to me when I met people who actually couldn’t wait for their parents to leave and were just excited to be away from home. I definitely had some hard days where I believed that I truly was not meant to be in college because of how my homesickness was affecting me. However, I learned quickly that homesickness never truly goes away, and that it’s just a matter of working through it and finding things to occupy your time so you are not focused on missing home.

4. Study groups are very beneficial

I am naturally one of those people who doesn’t benefit from studying in the library. I have always found that I study best when I am in my own personal space, such as my dorm room. However, I faced the issue of having trouble in one of my classes, so I decided to attend a study group session with members of my class. I ended up raising my grade and realized that studying by myself is not the best way to fully understand the curriculum.

5. Getting involved is the best thing you can do

In the beginning, I had a hard time finding my place. The amount of student organizations and clubs that you can join is almost overwhelming. When I finally joined some organizations centered around my interests and passions, I realized how much I was missing out on. I have done some amazing volunteer work with one particular organization and it has definitely paved the way for my involvement on campus. This is one thing I always tell my younger friends who are preparing to come to college, because getting involved can lead to so many other things, like new friends and even bigger opportunities outside of school.

In the end, being a first-generation student is not a bad thing, it has actually been a liberating experience. You get to explore your limits and your interests and doing it all on your own is the best part. I walked into my freshman year thinking I knew what I wanted to do and how things were going to work, but I found out the complete opposite, but the experience has opened new doors for me that I haven’t even imagined. 

Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.