andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relationships in This Day in Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: Jasmine Tovar

As a little girl I dreamed of finding my very own prince charming, getting married, and riding off into the sunset. I’ve been thinking a lot about marriage and how different it is from modern dating. We are living in the age of noncommittal relationships. Most of the time, we are not even sure if we are in a relationship or if we are just “talking”.  It wasn’t always this way, however. Love used to mean something different. 

While dating in this new age is hard, I do believe that love and marriage are real. I’m not going to give up hope that I’ll one day have true love, but it’s not as black and white as I thought it was when I was a child. I know that it’s going to take a lot to make a relationship work. Nowadays, everyone is so quick to give up on a relationship for little things. Anything worth having is not going to come easy. I wholeheartedly believe that about relationships as well.

Relationships are about compromise. I am a person who wants things my way all of the time, but I know that in a relationship that isn’t going to work. Everyone wants it their way and if it’s not then they are quick quit whatever aspect is at hand. There’s two things wrong with this line of thinking. First, it is going to get you nowhere. Secondly, it makes you seem too difficult of a person when that may not necessarily be the case. Sometimes you have to set your pride and ego aside to be there for the person that you are with. Who knows, you may even learn a thing or two.

Another thing in relationships today are the constant games that are played with each other. I don’t know when it became cool to play games in a relationship, but it seems that that’s the way the world is. What is the point of dating someone when you are not going to give the relationship your all? Why waste that person’s time? More importantly, why waste your time? If everyone was straightforward with their feelings, things would be a lot easier. Instead, we’re all guessing. Things are getting screwed up because no one wants to put themselves out there. This gets us nowhere and ruins what could be a pretty solid thing.

Photo By: Jasmine Tovar

We go through life making memories and having a great time, but what is all of that worth without someone to share it with? I still believe that true love exists. I still believe in marriage, even though it takes quite a bit to get to that point. I believe that if people were open and forward about their feelings we wouldn’t be in the age of “talking”. We’d be in the age of letting go and just being with a person because they make us happy and we love them. At the end of the day love is the only thing that matters and if you are able to find that hold on to it for dear life! You may not get a second chance.

Hello, I'm Kasharra Ashworth. I am in my third year at Stephen F. Austin State University as an Elementary Education Major. In my spare time I like to read (I'm a die hard romance fan), listen to music, play The Sims, and do/practice makeup. I am a granddaughter, a daughter, a sister, an aunt and a friend. Family means everything to me. I'm just a girl from a small town who wants to make her mark on this world.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.