My Top 7 Books For Escaping Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

When it comes to certain issues, every person has their own way of escaping from reality. Mine is reading. We all have our struggles, which is why I also believe it is good to leave reality sometimes, while other times we need to face it and try to confront our issues, so we are not constantly stuck on them. Life is tough and sometimes very overwhelming, but we have to be strong and help each other when we notice something wrong with a love one. Even though I am one of those people who loves to avoid my problems and issues, I don’t always but when I do, I make sure it safe and healthy for my wellbeing. These are some of the best book that I have read or want to read in the near future.  

Photo courtesy of Google Images 

1. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen- This is book is one of my favorites by Sarah Dessen. She is an amazing author. Her books always have something in them that I can always connect to. This book has a little bit of everything from family illness to romance to the of reality facing your consequences. 

2. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith– As a person who loves romance novels, this is the big one for me. This book is just like the title says, is the story of two lovers and their love at first sight of each other leads them to a crazy adventure of romance in an airport of all places.

3. Love, Lucy by April Lindner- This book is also a romance adventure that had me on the edge of my seat. The best thing about this book is how one of the main characters is so relatable in the way that she gets this great adventure all expenses paid by her parents, but in return, she has to give up her creative dreams and learn how to transition in the real world. 

4.  Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne- Now if you want a read about a true adventure, this is the book for you. I read this book when I was younger and dreamed that one day, I would have an adventure like the truly amazing Phileas Fogg. Even though there was a movie created, I still recommend reading about how this one man does this amazing journey that started because of a bet.

5. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll- Now even though majority of us have seen the movies, we all know it doesn’t compare to the book. This is a book that has been on my must-read list for ages, but I fear it will ruin my view on the movies. 

6. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert- Another book that is on my must-read list. I have heard this is the book that you need to read if you want to be inspired. This book has changed countless lives, so why not? 

7. Anthem by Ayn Rand- Now even though a lot of us read this book in high school, I still believe it has some good values and lesson that we need to learn and use as we live. In this dystopian novel, we have the main character Equality 7-251 who hides his ability to read and write from the laws of society. He gains knowledge through reading and learns that he has the ability to think for himself. As the story goes on, he learns more and more things that help him escape from his society’s rules. 

These books are some of my favorites to read plus which one I have been dying to read. My love for books just keeps growing and growing with every book I read. Just remember while it is okay to be alone and escape reality, it is also okay to surround yourself with love ones and live in the now. As well if it comes to a dangerous point of what you feel, here are some important numbers that can help:

Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)

National Domestic Violence Hotline- 800-799-7233

As well as 911 in you or a loved one are in danger.

Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.