photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How to Know When You’re Being Too Hard on Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Happy New Years and Spring semester of 2018! With all the goal planning and the start of a new semester sometimes we can get a little hard on ourselves with wanting to check off our list and make this the best year for ourselves. Here are five ways to know that you are being too hard on yourself.

1. Even when you have nothing to do, you start worrying that you might have something that you are supposed to be doing.

It’s okay to have nothing to do once in a while. Give yourself a break. Stop, give yourself a pat on the back and go watch that crime drama marathon.

2. You constantly stalk people you know, or even people you don’t know on social media to compare what you are doing to what they are doing.

I mean don’t get me wrong, aim high and dream big, but also remember that life is too short to compare yourself to other people’s standard of how life should be. They can’t steal your joy!

3. You’re always tired

All the commitments you’ve made can be a bit overwhelming and it’s okay to step away from it all once in a while. Take that Saturday night to just refresh or watch that Netflix show from beginning to end.

4. Your mindset has turned negative

You’re great, life is great, it’s all great. Think happy thoughts instead of dwelling on the negative. You’re doing great and it will be okay.

5 . You don’t take time out to treat yourself

Celebrate your achievements, big or small. Self-love is important and you deserve every ounce of it, so give it to yourself.

I hope this semester and this New Year you all achieve what you wanted, but remember to breathe in between what you are doing every once in a while. You got this so don’t be too hard on yourself.

Joy Meregini is currently a student at Stephen F. Austin State University, majoring in Psychology and is on the pre-med track. She is a writer for HerCampus SFA. Joy believes that being a psychology major allows her to focus on people, and how to reach and understand them, which inspires her writing. Joy is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Joy holds an Associates from Tyler Junior College. During her down time she enjoys watching, and sobbing over episodes of This Is Us, and she is forever trying to learn a new language (still hasn’t).
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.