Hello . . . Uhh I Mean, Bonjour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I have been in La Rochelle, France for two months studying abroad, and it has been nothing but amazing. Living in France doesn’t only mean you can eat pain au chocolat every morning for breakfast, but it also means you must adapt and let yourself fully immerse into French culture. This applies to any other study abroad experiences or while working/interning abroad.

So, here I leave you with a few things to help you get by and help you adapt into to French culture when studying or even just visiting:

1. It is common to always say Bonjour when you get on the public transportation bus, walk into a store or walk into class.

2. Before walking out of a store, stepping off the bus or leaving a restaurant it is polite to say “Merci au revoir” or “au revoir bonne journée/bon soirée.” 

3. It is not polite in France to ask a stranger “How they are doing” like it is in the U.S. A simple “Bonjour Madame” will do when walking into a store or a bank.

4. In the US it has become a trend to wear oversized t-shirts with athletic shorts or leggings. If you wear that in France, you will be turning heads all day! 

5. It is better and easier if you come to France knowing basic French phrases and vocabulary.

6. Remember, it is extremely rude to assume everyone speaks English. Always begin with French if possible. If you are having problems say something along the lines of “Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas français,” then they will understand and use English or try to communicate with you in some way. 

7. Know that it is common for restaurants and shops to close from 2-5 for their lunch break. 

8. France has banned plastic bags (Go France!), so when going to the supermarket, don’t forget your reusable bags. Also, it is very important to recycle all plastics, cardboard, and paper.

France is an incredible country full of history and culture. Even though it was a definite challenge, I have learned and have slowly adapted to the French culture. For now, this is still my temporary home for two more months! I hope these tips will help make your travel or study abroad experiences memorable and less stressful! 

Au Revoir for Now!

Translations:

bonjour: hello

pain au chocolat: bread with chocolate

au revoir: goodbye

Merci au revoir: Thank you goodbye

Au revoir bonne journée/bonsoirée: Goodbye, have a good day/ good evening

Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas français: I am sorry, I do not speak French 

My name is Tanya Moreno and I am a Junior International Business major at SFASU. I love to travel, and hope to be able to travel in my future job as well. I am very involved on campus and sometimes it can be too much for my own good. I am definitely a go-getter who loves Pinterest, my best frienf family and my job.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.