Haunted Places in Texas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

The Alamo- San Antonio

Like any battleground or place of bloodshed, the Alamo has its fair share of hauntings. 

During the Battle of the Alamo in 1836, many Mexican and Texan lives were lost, and many more wounded, which makes the many sightings of apparitions and paranormal activity unsurprising. 

Some of the more commonly witnessed apparitions are the Mexican Soldier and the Father and Son. Tourists and locals have reported seeing a man in an antique Mexican uniform wandering the grounds of the mission with his hands behind his back. Historical reports say that during the last moments of the Battle of the Alamo, a tall man was seen leaping from the missions roof with a small child in his arms. Tourists and locals have also reported seeing the same thing, which makes paranormal investigators wonder if it is residual energy or an apparition reenacting the last moments of their life. Other soldiers and casualties of the Battle of the Alamo are said to haunt the mission as well. 

You can go see the Alamo as a historical site or book a ghost tour in hopes of seeing one of the many spirits yourself.

Naegelin’s Bakery- New Braunfels

The small German town of New Braunfels has an abundance of haunted locations, so much so that there was a book written about it called “Haunted New Braunfels: A True Wild West Ghost Town (Haunted America)” by Erin O. Wallace. I choose Naegelin’s as the focus due to it also being very historical; it is the oldest, still functioning, bakery in Texas. Opened in 1868 by Edouard Naegelin, this bakery was family owned and operated until the 1980s when it was sold to the Granzins. When the bakery isn’t packed with hungry customers, the old building is quite spooky. Employees have reported hearing children running around after closing hours and other unexplained activity, such as objects being moved and electronics not working. Naegelin’s is the first stop on the New Braunfels Ghost Tours, which hits all of the most haunted locations. You can always stop by Naegelin’s to pick up a yummy treat and maybe witness something paranormal for yourself.

USS Lexington- Corpus Christi

Just like the Alamo, the USS Lexington, an aircraft carrier, has a bloody and battle-filled history. Used throughout World War II the Lexington’s planes were responsible for the destruction of over 800 enemy aircraft and over 300,000 tons of enemy cargo. The ship’s guns were also responsible for taking down 15 enemy aircraft. The Japanese reported the Lexington as sunk four times and, after her constant reappearance, Tokyo Rose nicknamed her “The Blue Ghost.” 

People often report hearing screams and seeing apparitions of sailors. One of the most popular ghosts is named Charlie, who is seen in the engine room. Tourists have reported interacting with a tour guide in full Navy uniform but the tour is self-guided and no explanation to this character has arisen despite the reports. Also, like the Alamo, visiting this ship is historically beneficial whether you have a paranormal experience or not. 

Spaghetti Warehouse- Houston

The Desel-Boettcher warehouse was established in 1900 before becoming a Spaghetti Warehouse in 1974 and filled with antiques. Before becoming a Spaghetti Warehouse, this building was used as a pharmacy. The pharmacist accidentally fell down the elevator shaft one night when trying to leave work. His wife was so upset about his sudden death that she ended up dying the next year. It is said that the two haunt the building and often move furniture and other random objects. Objects moving when no one is looking is kind of spooky, but guests and staff have reported witnessing objects floating and flying across rooms. People have reported seeing apparitions, catching orbs on camera, and hearing voices and footsteps on the second floor. Many people think most of the hauntings are connected to the antiques and interesting objects that litter the restaurant. Although this location was closed due to Hurricane Harvey in the fall of 2017, the site is still known for being spooky. 

Victoria’s Black Swan Inn- San Antonio

This beautiful house was built in 1867 on a historic site in which archeologists still find artifacts from the Civil War, Mexican Revolution, and before Americans even settled the land. Many deaths, before and after the house was built have left an imprint, making it one of the most haunted locations in Texas. 

There are several prominent spirits that call the Black Swan their home, two of which are Gustav Julian and his father Sebastian Rippstien. They are said to haunt the brick dairy barn that still resides on the property. They are extremely aggressive towards women but do not like men either. Many EVPs telling the paranormal investigators to “GET OUT” have been captured. Many children spirits are said to play tricks and pinch people’s thighs as well. These children are speculated to be the children of past owners or people who died old but choose a child-like form in the afterlife. A handful of the spirits are speculated to be past residences who happened to die on the property, one of which is the late Mrs. Woods, the mother of one of the owners. 

One of the more debated stories was the suicide of Park Street Jr. Street was found hung, but a psychic on the show “Sightings” believes he was murdered in the south wing, moved, and made to appear to have committed suicide. Some think that one of the other ghosts pushed him to suicide, while others believe it was the loss of his wife Joline who died of cancer years before. 

Joline is the most prominent and visible ghosts on the property. Wearing a white gown, she wanders the property and especially likes the gazebo. My father claims to have witnessed her standing in the gazebo when he decided to drive by the Inn at night about twenty years ago. 

The current owner, Jo Ann Marks Rivera, bought the house in 1991 and since then, shows, such as “Sightings” and “Ghost Adventures,” to name a few, have filmed here. Musicians such as George Strait, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Flaco Jimenez have performed and filmed there as well. You can tour the Inn or attend one of its many events. You can even book the venue for weddings! 

Creative writing major who loves video games and horror movies
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.