toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

It’s that time of year again – the famous Pumpkin Spice Latte makes a comeback, and the frightening ghouls and ghosts videos are posted all over the internet. This is when people tend to get ready for Halloween, also commonly known as “Spooky Season.” But, let’s be honest, most of us have been ready for the season since August and September. Am I right?

Houses are being decorated with pumpkins, faux spiders, cobwebs, skeletons, ghosts, and more ghouls. Personally, my roommate and I have already decorated our residence hall room door and our room window with rubber Halloween window displays. Honestly, we bought them for a cheap price because we are broke college kids, and I am pretty sure most people can understand our dilemma. Halloween is all about the spooky and fun creations that anyone can participate in. Some love scaring the pants off of their friends and family, while others just love to have a reason to dress up without being judged (especially adults).

From: HomeDepot.com

How to Decorate For Cheap

It is common that many students love to decorate for the holidays, but do not want to spend so much money on the decorations. Here are three easy ways to do so:

1. Create Your Own Decorations

From: Parade.com 

It is actually very simple when it comes to making your own decorations, everyone does it. For example, a few girls in my dorm drew their door décor with the rubber Halloween window displays (the most common, fun, and inexpensive item) and Halloween-themed vines, like “It’s Frickin’ Bats! I love Halloween!” Some people also print out or draw their own pumpkins and ghosts, as well as make the creatures from cardboard, construction paper, and other craft supplies—and sometimes even candies!—in order to display them outside their houses.

1. Clearance Is Still Good

From: WRAL.com

There are many stores having a sale on Halloween costumes, decorations, arts and craft supplies, and candies that can be used for a numerous amount of reasons. You just have to know what you are looking for; if you do not know what to buy, then do not be afraid to think outside the box on your decorating ideas. You never know what you might buy when you are shopping!

1. Reuse Decorations

Lastly, it is best to reuse your past decorations, or buy them earlier in the year. Reusing your decorations from last year or the year before is not a terrible idea, but some people view it as “being lazy” or “not being creative.” I know many people that use their decorations for the last couple of years, and their yard still looks great! Another way to easily decorate your house or yard is if you buy your decorations a bit earlier. Since the season has not approached yet, you will save more money than you would have when purchasing your items and supplies during the season.

SOURCES

1. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Holiday-Decorations-Halloween-Decorations/N-5yc1vZc2ve
  2. https://parade.com/513911/lindsaylowe/25-cheap-easy-diy-halloween-decorations/
  3. https://www.wral.com/walmart-halloween-clearance-90-off-/15101365/
I am studying English with a minor in Secondary Education. I like watching TV/movies, reading, softball, and the color purple. Her Campus member since Fall 2019 and loving it! "It's our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.