This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

It is okay to not be over friendship breakups. It is okay not to forgive quickly. It is okay not to ever want to talk to them again.

Growing up I thought that my best friend at the time was going to be my best friend forever. At first, I thought she was the one only who truly understood me. She was the person I could spend countless hours with and not get tired of being with her. While talking about our dream weddings, I would tell her “You are going to be my maid of honor”. At times are friendship was rocky like any friendship, but after every argument we still were best friends until my 10th grade year of high school.

Years have passed since then and I would never reach out to her again. As I grow older, I realize not being friends with her anymore was one of the best things that I have happened to me. Friendships can end so quickly and when you least expect it. Not wanting to reach out to say your “sorry” is okay, sometimes friendships aren’t meant to be even the ones that last for years and abruptly end. No one talks about how hard friendship breakups are, sometimes they can even be worse than relationship breakups.

The person you thought that would be there for you in every stage of life is suddenly not. It is almost like you are losing apart of yourself. All those memories you share with your ex-best friend will slowly fade and no new ones will take their place. Regardless of what they did to you or what drives the friendship to end, it is still hard to forgive them. Everyone talks about how we should forgive others, but we rarely discuss how hard it is to fully forgive someone. Especially if the degree of pain they brought you was very high.

At that time, I felt like that losing my ex-best friend was the end of the world, but I realize now she taught me what a true friend should actually look like. If you are currently experiencing this or if you do in the future do not forget that it is okay to not be okay and don’t feel pressured to forgive them quickly.

Hannah is a Mass Communications major with a concentration of Broadcast Journalism. She is a Libra Sun, Pisces Moon, Aquarius Rising. She is a lover of plants, crystals, astrology and anything crafty.