Every Podcast Lover HAS to Listen to these Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I think I can speak for many people when I say that a good podcast can make your day. I love listening to podcasts, especially ones about literature, true crime, conspiracy theories, and much more. If you’re looking for some new binge-worthy podcasts, you’re in luck, because I’m going to share with you a few of my absolute favorites. 

Literary Disco

This podcast is my absolute favorite and I listen to it on a daily basis, whether it’s binging all of the episodes or re-listening to some of the previous ones. There are three hosts: Tod Goldberg, an author and critic, Julia Pistell, a radio personality and essayist, and Rider Strong, an actor and filmmaker best known for his role as Shawn Hunter on the television show Boy Meets World. This hilarious podcast has it all, from games to jokes to books and is derived from three best friends who want to spread the word about the latest and greatest literature – most of the time

Photo courtesy of LaShauna Bell

S-Town

This podcast, from the amazing network that brought the famous podcast This American Life, is a story podcast that is so convincing, it’s almost like it actually happened. Similar to an audiobook, S-Town is compelling to listen to and will have you invested from start to finish. The narrator is a reporter who is recalling events from a time in his life where he met a man from Alabama and traces the clues to figure out what happened to him and discovers multiple unexpected things. Give this a listen, you won’t be sorry!

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Conspiracy Theories

From the Parcast network, Conspiracy Theories covers everything from the lizard-people theory to the government’s black budget spending to the mysterious Roswell, New Mexico. Each theory is broken into two parts: the first, an episode about the background of the theory, and the second an exploration into the theories and the proof that accompany them. As an avid conspiracy theory lover, this is one of the best ones out there and I highly recommend this to everyone who is interested in the wonderfully weird world of conspiracies. 

Photo courtesy of parcast.com

Unsolved Murders

Not only does Parcast make Conspiracy Theories, but they also explore true crime’s most notorious unsolved murders in this podcast. This is one of their original podcasts, so there are a lot more episodes than the newer ones, but they’re entertaining and binge-worthy. There are reenactments that make the podcast flow like a radio show, which adds to the tension set forth by the crimes talked about. Beware, only the brave can listen at night!

Photo courtesy of parcast.com

Serial Killers

True crime is Parcast’s specialty, and Serial Killers takes it to the next level in this series. There is not only an exploration of the crimes these killers such as Ted Bundy and Jack the Ripper but also explores the psychological state of each of these killers to try and understand them more. This is one of the most entertaining podcasts ever, so LISTEN RIGHT NOW.

Photo courtesy of parcast.com

Keep it Lit

On a lighter note, this hilarious podcast focuses mostly on short stories and looks at them in a comedic way. These two AP English teachers, one a young woman and the other a more experienced, but young at heart teacher, decided to make a podcast to have fun and talk about stories that they can’t talk about in class. Plus, they make a cocktail that has to do with the short story they read and drink it as they talk, so by the end of the episode, there are more jokes being spit out than the beginning, to say the least. 

Image courtesy of keepitlitpodcast.com

Whether you’re into literature, true crime, or the theories surrounding every aspect of life, these podcasts are perfect for you. I promise these will keep you entertained and/or on the edge of your seat, so get to watching, there’s no time to waste!

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.