Club Pre-Med: How to Make the Most of Your Undergraduate Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by LaShauna Bell for Her Campus at SFA

The moment that you have been anxiously waiting for has finally arrived-you received your first letter from a medical school that you recently applied to. Your heart begins to beat just a little bit faster. Will it contain the coveted congratulatory acceptance letter…or will its contents leave you feeling a bit discouraged?

As a pre-medical student, I understand just how long and time-consuming the road is to become a doctor. This past week, I sat down with Esther Mallet, a sophomore biology major, on how she stays sane while juggling all of her academics and extracurricular activities.  Whether you are a freshman in college, or a junior who has just recently applied to medical school, we all can use the following tips to make life as a pre-med just a little bit easier.

TIP 1. Plan your undergraduate coursework

The medical school application process requires tedious amounts of planning. One of the most important aspects is the courses that you have taken throughout the entirety of your undergraduate career. Medical schools require that certain classes have been taken before you can become a competitive applicant. So choose your schedule wisely! Make sure you take the correct science and math courses as these are a part of your BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics) GPA.

TIP 2. Preparation for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)

Ahhh, the dreaded MCAT. The mere mention of this 7.5 hour exam often makes pre-medical students want to throw in the towel. If this the predicament you currently find yourself in: DON’T! The key to preparation for the MCAT is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Many different testing companies such as Princeton Review or Kaplan offer practice MCAT tests. Before you even start studying for this exam, take the time to create as detailed of a study plan as possible. Write out when you’re going to study different concepts in biology, chemistry, physics, etc. This will make your life so much easier so long as you remain disciplined and actually follow the schedule!

TIP 3. Clinical Experience

Pre-medical students often get into the mindset that they must have a 4.0 and a perfect MCAT score to gain acceptance into medical school. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Another very important aspect is clinical experience. One of the first questions that is (almost guaranteed) to be asked at medical school interviews is, “Why do you want to become a doctor”? Your answer might be, “I want to be rich” or *shudder* the generic reply of “I want to help people.” Clinical experience is important because you will encounter a wide range of experience and gain valuable knowledge. You can look for clinical experience in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, anywhere that you are in contact with patients. That is the true test as to why you want to become a physician.

TIP 4. Remain motivated & RELAX!

It’s easy to want to throw in the towel but STOP! Think about why you want to be a doctor in the first place. Allow that to be your motivation to get you through even the most challenging times. As overwhelming as this process may seem, make sure to include some time for yourself. Relax, you’ll be a doctor one day.

Brittany Malone is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University where she is majoring in Psychology and is on a pre-med track. In her free time, Brittany enjoys reading books, writing stories, and obsessing over Treasure Planet. 
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.