Choose Kindness: National Bullying Prevention Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Kind gestures can make someone’s day no matter how small. Especially during National Bullying Prevention month, don’t forget to treat others how you want to be treated. Here are my favorite ways to make someone’s day and put a smile on their face.

giving strangers compliments

When you get a compliment doesn’t it make you feel good? Then it most likely will make others feel good too. Someone could be having a terrible day and giving them a small compliment will turn their day right around.

Giving a good compliment is one of the quickest ways to make someone else feel good and to feel better yourself.

I love this because it is so easy, even a small compliment like “Your hair is pretty” can change someone’s day. You never know what others are going through.

Holding the door for someone

This is the easiest kind gesture in the book but I love doing it. It makes me really happy when someone does it for me especially when my hands are full. I have been in a situation where people will just shut the door in my face; do not be that person. It takes zero effort on your part to hold the door open for 5 seconds.

Pay it forward

Not in a rush in the Starbucks drive through? Pay for the person in front of you or behind you. Most likely if you are a college student then probably another student is behind you and I bet that would make their day. If this has ever happened to you, you know how good it feels. Although this is a bigger commitment since money is involved, the pay off is wonderful when you know that person will be thankful you did that all day.

“text me when you get home”

This shows how much you care about the person, it will let them know that their safety matters to you. Regardless if you are really close or just met, this kind gesture will make anyone feel good. There is a chance this could even save someone’s life, because if you don’t get that “I am home” text, you will begin to assume something is wrong.

Being kind can make someone’s day; in the month of October, try to do one of these kind gestures each day and see how it changes your life. I am going to end it with one of my favorite quotes about kindness.

“Acts of Kindness:

A random act of kindness, no matter how small, can make a tremendous impact on someone else’s life.”

― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Hannah is a Mass Communications major with a concentration of Broadcast Journalism. She is a Libra Sun, Pisces Moon, Aquarius Rising. She is a lover of plants, crystals, astrology and anything crafty.