This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

PWI stands for Predominantly White Institution. Attending a PWI as a Black person means you’re a minority in a environment that’s majority white. Coming to college can be a culture shock both racially and socially. However, do not feel pressured to assimilate to a white environment. It’s important to have candid conversations with your peers about what it means to be Black in a white environment, not just in college, but in America in general. We can use these experiences to grow and create our own narrative. A PWI experience prepares you for what it will mostly likely be for you as a Black person in a white dominated workplace in America. Even if you are fortunate enough to work for and amongst your own people, we are still a minority and largely marginalized. Listed below is advice that may prove to be useful as a Black student attending a PWI.

Photo Credits: Google Images

Find the Black community. This may be easier said than done when looking at the demographics of the school. Black students make up for 19.9% of the undergraduate class at Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA), According to statistics from College Factual. In many classes, you may be one of the only few Black students present.However, if you get involved in Black organizations and events within the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA), you may find it’s more inclusive than you think. There are many Black Organizations, from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People NAACP) to Fashion ‘N Motion (FNM). No matter your interests, there is an organization that will connect you with other like minded people on campus.

Reputation. You have to set the standard as a Black student at a PWI. Hold yourself to a higher standard and be aware of what you primarily came to college to do: get a degree. Check D2L (Desire2Learn)daily as it is what most of your professors will be using. Also, utilize the Academic Assistance Resource Center (AARC) to your advantage. While parties and events are fun, it is important to balance your time. Don’t get caught up in the allure of the freedom that comes with college. Parties can get redundant after a while so manage your time and your money responsibly.

Expect racial microaggressions, but don’t be afraid to address them. Many non-Black people don’t inherently understand our struggles or our culture. Coming to college may even be where they first encounter us. There will be many white people who believe it’s okay to say the n-word, often using the “I have a Black friend so I can say it” excuse. Some may even run their fingers through your hair without permission. Furthermore, cultural appropriation is common and often times goes unaddressed. Racism may be subliminal in some cases, but it’s still present.

In conclusion, be unapologetically proud about your Blackness. Don’t be afraid to reflect you Blackness within your work and everything you do on campus. Personally, I love that I am able to work towards making a difference at my PWI. There are many areas that need attention at my university and I am proud to say that I am actively working to address them.

Citation:

“How Diverse Is Stephen F Austin State University?” College Factual, 24 June 2018, www.collegefactual.com/colleges/stephen-f-austin-state-university/studen….

Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.