Beating the Holiday Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Snow . . . hot chocolate . . . stockings above the fireplace . . . lights . . . It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Well, not for everyone.

While television advertisements, billboards, holiday jingles, and decor on the walls and shelves of Hobby Lobby show that the holidays prove to be nothing but a joyous time, for many people it isn’t. With the end of the year comes stressful deadlines, reminders of family dysfunction and loss, bad eating and drinking habits, and cold and dark winter days. It’s easy not to feel holly, jolly, go-lucky.

Along with that, constant reminders of those who do feel the holiday spirit can additionally serve as a painful reminder that happiness is lacking in your own life or holiday season for whatever reason. November and December can sometimes bring particularly difficult times for a multitude of reasons.

Though feelings of sadness over the holidays aren’t something we can always control (i.e. un/diagnosed mental health issues), there are triggers we can try to avoid.

Here’s how to avoid feeling the holiday blues:

1. Step into the light

Winter brings less sunlight, which is unfortunate because the sun can do wonders for our mood. When the sun is out, try going for a walk. If it’s extra cold outside, swing by your local coffee shop and take one on the go. Stroll through your local park or trails, or even just around the block. Expose yourself to some vitamin D.

2. Cut back on commitments

One of the better things about the holidays that many of us overlook is that Christmas is only 24 hours long. That’s it. Try to prioritize what you need to do get done before those 24 hours hit, what you’ll be doing during those 24 hours, and how you plan to unwind post 24 hours. Be sure to focus on you and what you’re capable of reasonably doing. Making too many promises to others can be overwhelming. Try to make your holiday more relaxing than it is busy.

3. Don’t allow yourself be lonely

This is easier said than done. Understandable. But if you can hack it, don’t spend the holiday alone. Gather friends. Visit a family member you haven’t seen in awhile. If your family is getting together and they aren’t very close-knit, try gathering them together to play a game. Visit the local hospital or nursing home. Try not to spend your day alone . . . The best thing you can fill your “empty tank” with is positive socialization.

4. Don’t overindulge

With the holidays comes sweet treats and strong drinks. It’s the BEST. But overindulging can be harmful to your mood. Feeling full only feels good until you begin feeling sick or guilty that your holiday meal coma had you sleep your day away. More importantly, drink wisely. Do not drink yourself silly or ill, and do not use alcohol to deal with holiday blues you possibly couldn’t avoid.

5. Schedule sleep

If you find yourself running circles trying to meet deadlines, finish gift shopping, or preparing for a trip, make sure to pencil in a solid nap. Depression has been linked to sleep loss and the worst thing you could do for yourself, specifically your health, is to let yourself run on little sleep and multiple cups of coffee or energy drinks. Stop, take a nice bath, and snuggle in some cool sheets. Rest.

6. Volunteer

One of the most rewarding things you can do is volunteer. Avoid holiday blues by getting involved with a project or helping your community. Volunteer to serve a Christmas meal at the local soup kitchen, go caroling with friends or family, visit with the residents of a local nursing home or hospital, or look into charities that help children in need. Get your heart fluttering and your stomach warm with good feeling.

These aren’t the only ways to cure your holiday sadness. There are hundreds of reasons why we could be feeling down this holiday season, but hopefully these tips can make it a little better.

Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.