8 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

It’s no secret: long distance relationships are tough. However, there are a number of ways to make them last and keep them healthy. It can be hard, but it isn’t impossible. Here’s how anyone can maintain a healthy long-distance relationship.

1. Talk About Each of Your Needs

Just like in a normal relationship, communication is key. In a long-distance relationship, it’s even more essential because the needs of each person shift when the relationship does. If one of you needs consistent communication, such as texts and calls, that needs to be talked about up front so that both parties have a full understanding and can take that into account. 

2. Video Calls Help You See Each Other When You Can’t Be Together in Person

We live in the age of information and with this has come technology that makes long distance relationships a lot easier than it was twenty years ago. FaceTime, Skype, and video calling allows you and your significant other too see each other’s faces and talk in a way that’s more intimate and closer to actually being together than a normal call is. Just one of these video calls per week really helps ease the pain of not seeing your significant other in person. Also, we live in the age of social media, so Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, etc. all help the two of you keep in touch in more ways than ever before. 

Photo by: LaShauna Bell

3. Make Time to See Each Other in Person

Seeing each other is essential and reminds you why the distance worth it. It really helps if you and your significant other are able to sit down and plan out time to see each other. For example, planning when you go home or when they come to see you not only gives more opportunity to see the one you love in person, but it also gives something for the two of you to look forward to and work towards. It also gives you alone time that is essential in any relationship, which helps keep the intimacy between you alive as well. This is obviously easier to do when the distance is only a couple of hours, but it can still be achieved through communication and teamwork. 

4. Don’t Underestimate the Power of Snail Mail

One of the best ways to show someone you love them is to give them a hand-written letter. Surprising your significant other with a hand-written letter or small gift in the mail will not only bring a smile to their face, but it also lets them know you’ve thought about them and who doesn’t want to know that?

Photo by: LaShauna Bell 

5. Set Small Goals to Achieve Together

No matter if it’s small workout goals, academic goals, or any other thing you can think of, setting small goals the two of you can achieve together helps the unity of the relationship stay strong. This also helps make it feel like you two are sharing something, helping the distance not seem so large. 

6. Be Willing to Work Together 

There will be times where the two of you are busy and may not be able to talk to each other as much as either of you would like. This doesn’t mean that you don’t want to talk to each other, but you need to work to let each other know that. When one of you is feeling down or needs special attention one day, acknowledgement of the needs of each other and working to fulfill them on both sides will keep the magic and love alive, too. 

7. Trust Each Other

The most important part of a long-distance relationship in order to make it work and keep it healthy is to trust one another. If there is not trust, the relationship is not going to be successful and you will spend all of your time worrying about cheating, which is not healthy for you either. Trust is key in normal relationships, but long-distance ones require a whole new level and if you’re with the right person this won’t be a problem. 

8. Don’t Forget the Little Things

This is just as important as all of the other guidelines, if not more. Little texts saying you love your significant other and that you miss them is something that helps with the long-distance blues, too. This shows your SO that you’re thinking of them and that you care about them. The little things count just as much as the big things, so don’t let those fall flat. 

Long distance is tough, but these tips can help with the overwhelming feeling of being away from the one you love. At the end of the day, effort is what makes a relationship successful, and long distance takes a lot of it. Follow these tips, and there’s nothing to worry about – you got this!  

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.