yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Things to do on Halloween When You’re in College 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but this year I just don’t find myself looking forward to Halloween. I used to love Halloween— the endless amount of candy, dressing up; hanging out with your friends. This year the hype just isn’t quite there. So, I started thinking of some ideas that we stressed college students can do. I know some of us are getting ready for graduation, and that’s a scare all on its own. But take some time off and relax; maybe celebrate Halloween this year! Here are a couple of things you can do:

1. Classic Movie Marathon

If you don’t want to spend this year’s Halloween bored or alone, then have some friends over for a scary movie marathon. I mean, if you just aren’t in the spirit of being scared then you can just have a regular movie marathon. Or even better a DISNEY Halloween movie marathon with classics like Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown.

2. Pumpkins

Now, when I say pumpkins I really mean . . . pumpkins. During the month of October, it is an acceptable time to go out and buy some pumpkins. You can have friends over and carve pumpkins and really be creative with designs. And if you prefer being solo, well go out and buy a pumpkin and design at all by yourself— it’s all about preference. 

3. Pumpkin Patch Extravaganza

Speaking of pumpkins, it brings me to my next point: pumpkin patch photo shoot. Now this you can’t do solo . . . well actually yes you can . . . the selfie. Go to your local pumpkin patch, and have a cute fall photo shoot. It gives you something to do and it helps your photo collection grow. And while you’re there, you can buy more pumpkins!

4. Candy

You can always buy some candy and stay at home and pass them out to trick-or-treaters. If bringing joy to other people is your thing, then this would be a good option. If you don’t like to bring joy to others, then you can always buy candy for yourself, celebrate and eat it. 

5. Haunted house

Some people enjoy haunted houses, I myself have never been to one, because I struggle enough just watching a scary movie— I don’t want to live in one. But this can be something you and your friends can do on Halloween, if you do enjoy being scared.

6. Bake with your friends

Baking is always a fun thing to do. You can have some friends over and have a Halloween-themed bake party! Pumpkin shaped cookies, caramel candy apples; something with Oreos. It gives you a chance to look up recipes and try something new, then stuff your faces afterward. Oh, how fun!

7. Scare on the Square

Every year in Nacogdoches there is an event called Scare on the Square. This year it will be on Saturday, Oct. 29, and they’ll have a lot of fun things planned. There will be candy, a costume contest, hayrides, a petting zoo and even a pet costume contest! Isn’t that just the cutest thing? If you want something fun to do, put your puppy in a cute costume and enter the contest. It’ll make your heart smile, even if you don’t win, to see your puppy in a hotdog costume.

8. Healthy Halloween at festival park  

Also happening in Nacogdoches is a new event created to promote active lifestyles. So, if you really don’t want to splurge on candy, but still want to do something surrounding the Halloween theme, then this would be your thing. It’s also on Saturday, Oct. 29, at Festival Park. There will be games and prizes, and they are also having a fruits and veggie costume contest.

9. Zoo Boo

If you don’t really want to stay local and want to get out of Nacogdoches, you can always go to Lufkin. For those who don’t know, there is a zoo in Lufkin, and for Halloween they have an event called Zoo Boo. They have several animals out for the exhibit and people are welcomed to join. It is for people of all ages. There is a $5 fee for anyone 12 and up. The Ellen Trout zoo in Lufkin would be something fun to do on Halloween, so go see the animals. 

10. Sleep

And lastly, if you really don’t want to do anything for Halloween or you just like being alone— and maybe you still secretly want to celebrate Halloween— well then, just eat a Halloween treat and just go to sleep. Because who doesn’t like sleeping right?

Happy Halloween! 

Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.