This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

With the EXCITEMENT of finals looming near, many of us find it hard to take the time and effort to conjure even an “okay looking” outfit for the day. However, one of the many great things about this festive and fun time of year is the endless fashion fads a girl can create. Say goodbye to the sweater/leggings/boots combo every day for the next three months and hello to fun, flirty, but most importantly comfortable, essentials perfect for this winter! From everyday looks to Holiday Parties, the skies may be grey but they won’t rain on your parade this year!

Statement Coats

Obviously coats in general are a must, unless you want to catch hypothermia and die, so chosing practically over style isn’t that big of deal. However, the last couple of years I have found the importance of having more than just one coat the entire winter. Classic colors (tan, grey, black) are always a fun invesment, I also think statement coats are something fun to wear during the holiday season that makes dressing in coats more fun and assecorized, pulling the whole look together.

Pictured: Anthropologie Windowpane Car Coat, $248.

Capes

Capes are quickly becoming my favorite clothing accesory for fall as well as winter. Not only do they remind me of the 1930s and Nancy Drew, but also add comfort, as well as cover – a perfect alternative to wearing a big, bulky coat. Pair this with gloves and a hat and you’re ready to take on the world in style!

Pictured: Topshop Faux Fur Double Breasted Cape, $170.

Vests

Vests have always been a favorite. Puffer vests can really add color to any outfit, whether paired with a button-down oxford, a neutral skirt (or pants), and boots, they add protection and comfort, almost like you’re wearing a giant pillow – and whoever said that’s a bad idea!

Another alternative to puffer vests are (faux) fur vests!

Pictured: (Top) J.Crew Excursion buffalo check vest, $138. (Bottom) Anthropologie Embroidered Shaggy Vest, $158.

Sweaters

I get so excited when it starts getting cold enough to start wearing sweaters. There are so many styles: slim fitting, turtlenecks, V necks, and cowl necks galore! I really like sweaters that have small bits of detail that set it apart from just a regular pullover. Elbow patches, designs, expressions, or jewel trimming are some of my favorite additions to sweaters!

Pictured: Madewell La Superbe Sweater, $79.50.

Sweater Dresses

Think of wearing around one giant blanket – that’s pretty much the equivalent to a sweater dress. It’s fun, it’s fashionable, and it doubles as dozing attire. Let’s be real, no one in negative degree weather wants to take the effort in the early morning to put on a dress only to pile layers of coats, scarves, and more and more coverage until you begin displaying an uncanny resemblence to the michelin man. As much as sticking to sweaters and leggings seem like the better option at that point, sweater dresses not only flatter but provide and comfortable and put together look for the day – perfect for class dress!

Pictured: (Top) Anthropologie Sweater Tunic. (Bottom) LOFT Mixed Media Dress, $89.50

Skirts

When you’re tired of wearing jeans and leggings, skirts can be a nice change – especially these suede and tweed skirts! You could pair these with tights and a comfy sweater!

Pictured: (top) Beige Suede Button down midi skirt from Genuine People, $30. (Bottom) Topshop wrap front tweed skirt, $68.

Fun Party Skirts/Dresses!

One thing I love about this time of year are the endless holiday parties paraded throughout this month. It’s a time when we can forget about the stress of finals, kick back and enjoy a nice glass of champagne. We also get the chance to dress up and feel completely new and refreshed from the blistering winter wind and snow.

This navy and gold foiling elephant skirt from J.Crew factory is a perfect pop of color! 

This trapeze style dress from Urban Outfitters is angelic and whimiscal, complete with a beaded neckline.

Styled with fuzzy white socks and silver Mary Janes.

A perfect alternative to skirts and dresses are jumpsuit! Although they may be a little pain when having to use the ladies room, they are sleek and always a classic!

pictured: Madewell faux-wrap cami jumpuit, $119

Duck boots

Nearly EVERYONE on campus owns a pair of duck boots, and can you blame them? They are so convienent and practical, especially living up here on the mountain. They make getting to class easier, comfortable, and you won’t have to sacrifice your favorite pair of boots!

These J.Crew colorblock duck boots carry an adorable fur lining and make you stand out against the white snow!  

If you are more on a budget, these American Eagle Duck boots are a perfect doppelgänger for L.L. Bean’s classic design at only $50!

Smoking Slippers

Smoking slippers are some of my favorite shows to wear during the cold months. Although not the best to trudge around in snow, they are always cute for a fun festive dinner or holiday party! 

Pictured: Stubbs & Wootton for J.Crew classic velvet slippers.

Hats

Hats are a definite must when the cold weather hits, so you might as well make it fun!

Although this is a bit eccentric and reminds me of something they might wear in Russia, I think it’s a perfect detail to help add style to your outerwear, as well as a guarantee to keep your head and ears toasty. 

Berets, though originally a French fashion, has found its way across the world as one of the most loved and worn hats during the winter season. From an array of colors and designs, barets are a classic addition to any winter wardrobe!

Pictured: (top) Anthropologie Isabeau Earband, $68. (Bottom) Urban Outfitters Classic Wool Beret, $34 

Gloves

Gloves I think are some of the most underrated accessory for winter. Depending on where you live you could either live with or without them, however, people think tht pockets are something that will suffice for the coldest weather. Don’t get me wrong, I believe pockets are one of the greatest inventions of all time, but gloves are another source of protection we just can’t do without!

Pictured: Echo ‘Touch – Boucle’ Tech Gloves at Nordstrom, $48

Scarves

Scarves are not only wonderful for bundling up and helping your neck feel nice and snug, but they are an adorable fashion statement!

Pictured: Open Knit Infinity Scarf at Forever 21, $12.90

Fun tights

Anything from normal class days to fun holiday parties these are some tights that will add a delicate touch to your wardrobe!

Pictured: Monki glitter tights at Asos.com, $11

Holiday Accessories

Not a must for winter weather, but an adorable addition to holiday parties or even a fun night out!

I’m LOVING Kate Spade’s champagne collection – perfect for the holiday season! 

What ever you decide to wear this winter the most important thing is that YOU love it!

Happy Holidays & Happy Shopping!

YSR!

Jennie is a Sophomore from Williamsburg, Virginia. she's fond of classic films, Jane Austen, bulldogs, and dressing up. She considers Audrey Hepburn and her mom to be her biggest role models.