This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

For those of you who like music, you may have heard of some pretty crazy sounding genres, and if you really really like music you may have gone hunting for the most underground genres out there. If you fit in one of those categories, or if you have never thought about it but it sounds cool, this is the article for you. Here are some genres you probably haven’t heard before!

Shout-out to this article- https://insights.spotify.com/us/2015/09/30/50-strangest-genre-names/ – for the idea, go check it out for more!

Chillwave

A derivative of vaporwave, that maintains the sparse elements and lo-fi feelings. It features mellow vocals and psychedelic textures.

Check out a sample here

Math Rock

An indie style of rock that involves odd time signatures and irregular structures. The music can often sound loose and chaotic. 

Check out a sample here

Bubble Trance

Features bouncing, heavy, beats. The song focuses on the beat, but has a bright undertone.

Check out a sample here

Drone

Is a very minimalist, relaxing genre. It is a moodier ambient music, or a more instrumental rock version of vaporwave

Check out a sample here

Riot grrrl

Punk music that stems from the feminist movement started in the Pacific Northwest. It often addresses feminist issues like the patriarchy, sexuality, domestic abuse, racism, and others. Some noteable groups include Bikini Kill and Sleater-Kinney.

Check out a sample here