Tips For Fabulous Winter Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Baby, it’s cold outside! Does anyone else’s skin become really dry and even sometimes flaky as soon as the temperature outside drops? Take care of your skin and treat yourself this winter with the gift of glowy skin that will make everyone else wish they knew what your skin routine is.

Exfoliate

Using an exfoliator will help buff away all the dead skin that’s on your face and body. St. Ives makes an amazing exfoliator that won’t break the bank (less than $4!) My skin always feel so smooth and soft after using it. There are also many body scrubs that makes your skin feel like a baby’s bottom. Did you know exfoliating can increase blood circulation and help achieve healthy glowing skin? (Sign me up!)

Apply Sunscreen

If you thought that sunscreen is only for the summertime, you’re wrong. Whenever the sun is shining, your skin is exposed to the UV rays that can cause damage to your skin, even when the temperature outside is freezing. Using moisturizer with SPF is an easy way to protect your skin. Simple makes a great moisturizer that I would recommend trying out. It’s a plus that wearing sunscreen helps keep those wrinkles away too.

Drink water

Water is so important and staying hydrated is one of the easiest way to take care of your skin. Hydrated skin looks livelier and healthier than dry skin. It will truly help keep the moisture in your skin. Add in a slice of lemon for added flavor!

Moisturize

If your skin is dry, using a moisturizer suitable for your skin type can do wonders. For the body, using a body butter or cream that has a thicker consistancy is actually more moisturizing than a lotion. Trader Joe’s makes some great body butters scents around the holidays! Slather some on and watch those cracks in your skin dissapear.

Use a bronzer

If you’re like me, I have two foundations- one for summer and one for winter. On those dull winter days, give your face some extra color by using some bronzer for that radiant glow. I love my Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer (it really does smell like chocolate!) No one has to know it’s makeup ;)

Don’t wipe, pat

This is a skin tip that I learned off of youtube when I started getting into makeup and skincare. After washing your face or taking a shower, soak up the water on your face/ body by patting it dry rather than wiping. The tugging from wiping can cause extra dryness. Bonus tip: Use this trick for hair too instead of rubbing the hair between the towel!

With finals approaching, hope you’ll find these tips helpful for that easy breezy beautiful winter skin!

Displaced New Englander who loves the outdoors, sweet tea, sunsets, dogs and the beach.