Super Bowl XLVIII Fun Facts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

This year’s matchup between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks is predicted to be the most watched television event in American history as experts anticipate more than 111 million viewers. Super Bowl XLVIII will be broadcasted on Fox and will start at 6:30 EST.

1. Over 44% of football fans are female.

2. Fox is charging $4 million for a 30 second commercial spot.

3. Peyton Manning now has an NFL-Record five MVP awards.

4. Richard Sherman is not as crazy as he seems. He was his high school’s salutatorian and went to Stanford University, where he graduated with a 3.7 GPA and began a Master’s Degree program in his last year of eligibility. 

5. Approximately 8 million pounds of guacamole and 8.2 million pounds of tortilla chips will be consumed.

6. Super Bowl VI, in New Orleans, is the coldest game on record. It was 39 degrees at kickoff.

7. A Seahawk is actually an osprey.

8. Tickets for Super Bowl I cost $6. While for Super Bowl XLVIII, tickets cost anywhere fromt $500 to $2,600.

9. Seattle fans, often called The 12th Man, set the world record for loudest crowd noise at 137.6 decibels.

The human eardrum ruptures at 150 decibels.

10. Russell Wilson is only in his second NFL season.

11. Peyton Manning is in his 16th season.

12. Super Bowl Sunday is the second biggest day for food consumption in the US.

Thanksgiving takes the number 1 spot.

13. Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch eats Skittles during every game.

His mother calls them his “power pellets.”

14. The Vince Lombardi Trophy is made by Tiffany & Co. and costs $25,000.

Jane is a Politics major and Art minor from New Orleans, LA. She enjoys photography, drawing, the New Orleans Saints, and stalking professional athletes on Twitter. Beyond Sewanee and Her Campus, Jane is a member of Kappa Delta, a Bacchus driver, and a fantastic sandwich maker at Shenanigans Restaurant.