Review of The Intern’s Handbook: Better than assigned reading

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

You know what Sewanee students need to do more of? Reading.  Seriously, we don’t read nearly enough every week….

That’s obviously not true, but we can all admit that not all the books we read are worth the time we spend on them, so I’m going to recommend a book that is worth your time.  The Intern’s Handbook by Shane Kuhn is honestly one of the best books I’ve read in a while, and it beats Ovid and Virgil by a long shot, so take a break from your assigned reading and settle down with this new novel.

John Lago is a very special sort of intern.  Mostly because he’s not really an intern, he’s an assassin who goes undercover as an intern to find and eliminate his target.  Of course things don’t go as planned when he becomes involved with a pretty coworker.  Based on this description, the book doesn’t sound like much, but this book has it all. 

At once darkly funny, and oddly poignant, Kuhn creates characters that are good people who do bad things. The story was tense, but not ridiculously so, and I was genuinely surprised by several of the developments. Not only does Kuhn take a look at what it means to be an intern (which he does with hilarious honesty), but also what it means to be human.

Of course I’m aware that a book which features assassinations is not everyone’s cup of tea, especially since some of the scenes get a little graphic, but it never takes it too far, so if you’re not too faint of heart, you can easily handle this.  Some readers may not be into the action heavy plot, because this is no fluffy romance book, but it isn’t short on humor and it has a sweet and believable love story that thankfully never becomes too sappy.  In fact, Kuhn often references romance movie cliches (Lago is a huge movie buff) and has his characters use them to their advantage.  All in all, it’s a great book.   

Sadly I’m aware that many of you will be unable to cut time out of your schedules to read the whole book, for you, I suggest you wait it out and either read the book this summer, or wait until the movie (starring James Franco!!) comes out next year.  To everyone else, pick up a copy today and enjoy the ride!

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!