Perpetual Motion 2014: Celebrating 25 Years of Dance in Sewanee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Beginning last Thursday night, Sewanee’s Perpetual Motion performed their 25th annual show in Guerry Auditorium. In our interview with one of Perpetual Motion’s co-presidents, Kate Campbell, she told us a little about this year’s performance and what makes Perpetual Motion such an amazing group.

Perpetual Motion, known colloquially as PMo, is a dance performance group including members of all classes, ethnicities, and genders. Considered one of the most talented groups on campus, this year’s show has proven that to be exceedingly true. 

Kate tells us that PMo was created by a dance professor 25 years ago, and when they left, the students wanted to keep performing! So now it is, “entirely student danced, choreographed, and produced.” In celebrating 25 years of dance in Sewanee, this year’s show includes “at least one member of every class as a choreographer” and features both trained and untrained dancers(but I dare you to try to tell which is which.) Kate also mentioned that she’s “always loved how inclusive PMo is.

This year’s showcase includes Jamaican and Irish dance, classic ballet, a step piece, and many more. There are 20 dances in total!

When asked about the great diversity of the Perpetual Motion group, Kate replied:

“The diversity of PMO is what makes it one of the best attended events of the year!! We have so much to offer in terms of styles of dance, but also in terms of the dancers that make up the cast.  Our cast includes a wide sample of classes, levels of dance training, academic major, and involvement in Greek life.  I’ve made so many wonderful friends through dance, it really does bring people together.”

So if you’re in the mood to come watch some amazing performers do what they love most, and feel all warm and fuzzy because of the influence of friendship in the choreography of the dances, then PMo is for you! The show continues Friday and Saturday night in Guerry Auditorium at 7pm. Kate Campbell and Elizabeth Layman would love for you to come out and support this amazing group of students. You’ll be so glad you did!

Some Photos Courtesy of the University of the South’s Flickr

Madison is a sophomore from Chattanooga, Tennessee. She enjoys Christmas in July, things that sparkle, gender equality and LGBT activism, meditating, video games, and sushi. She is majoring in both English and Anthropology and hopes to become a journalist or researcher in Linguistic Anthropology.