This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Period cramps can get the best of us. You’re sitting there, feeling fine, when suddenly your insides feel like they’re ripping themselves apart. Definitely not a fun sensation. To make that time of the month go by a bit smoother, I’ve compiled a list of remedies to cure your period blues.

Take a hot bath

Nothing is more calming than a nice, hot bath. Fill up the tub, throw in your favorite Lush bubble bar, and crank up some tunes. The warm water will relax your muscles, and your favorite music will relax your mind. Throw a good book into the mix and you’ll be able to take your mind off the miserable fact that you’re on your period in no time.

Use a heating pad

Heating pads are magic when you’re on your period. Placing one on your lower abdomen relieves some of the pain from camps by relaxing your muscles. It works fast too, unlike pain relievers like Ibuprofen that have to be absorbed into the body before they start working.

Go to the gym

As much as going to the gym may be the exact opposite of what you want to do while on your period (cut to me lying in bed with a box of chocolate), working out actually does help. Working out releases endorphins, which help chase away pain and just make you feel better in general. Aerobic exercises, aka cardio, have been found to be especially helpful because they stretch out your core where the majority of your pain will be located.

Drink some tea

Skip the coffee and go for a nice hot cup of tea. It soothes period-related stress and can help relieve the pain from your cramps too. The caffeine in coffee is also bad for you when you’re on your period as it elevates symptoms, so make sure your tea is also caffeine-free.

Drink water

Water is the easiest way to make your period easier. Getting dehydrated is easy when so much fluid is leaving your body, so putting more in is essential. Water is also a great remedy for the bloating and fatigue that come with your period.

Surround yourself with lavender

Lavender does wonderful things no matter what time of the month it is. The smell of lavender is stress-relieving, so storing it around your room will help relax you and take your mind off your period blues. It’s also good for if you have trouble sleeping, putting the scent on your pillow can help you sleep like a baby.