New Moon Arts Fest: A Party for the Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

The New Moon Arts Fest, which will take place on Saturday, October 25th in front of the Green House, is an event that will bring together all members of the Sewanee community in celebration of the Liberal Arts. The event is being put on by the New Moon Executive Committee, comprised of Student Business House residents and Angel Fund members Sam Taussig, Nancy Lilly, and Alex Butler; Community Engagement House residents Sarah High and Hannah Glaw; Music House resident Bella Lilly; WUTS 91.3 deejay Kyle King; SGA President John Cochran; and GSD House resident Kathryn Wilgus.

This inaugural event was inspired by a desire to celebrate the vast array of artistic achievements Sewanee students have to offer. Student and community musicians, poets, writers, dancers, and other artists will have the opportunity to showcase their talents for the community by renting one of several booths in which they can display their talents. The displays can be for educational, commercial, or pure performance purposes. Students can participate either as individuals or as groups, and organizations and clubs are welcome as well. 

Artists of all kinds are encouraged to participate in the event. Individuals or groups can rent a booth and showcase anything from media presentations and art displays to dance routines and poetry readings. Booths can also be used to sell goods and/or food.

Live music from various performers will be playing during the entire event, capped off with headliner Southern Bred Co. beginning at 7:00p.m. Additionally, a cookout will take place from 5:00-7:00p.m.

The New Moon Executive Committee hopes that the whole Sewanee community will come together to celebrate each other’s accomplishments and have a good time. A fun atmosphere with live music, free entertainment, a cookout, and festivities lasting all afternoon and all night will ensure there is something for everyone.

“The entire goal of the event is to celebrate the liberal arts, student art, and community art,” said Sam Taussig C’15, one of the organizers of the event. “It is all about what makes us on the Mountain really special. Student artists will display their work regardless of their status in the art department, new organizations can advertise [themselves], and established ones can engage with the community.”

Timeline of Activities:

Booths: 3:00-5:30p.m.

Student and Local Bands: 3:00-7:00p.m.

Cookout: 5:00-7:00p.m.

Hired Bands: 7:00p.m.-1:00a.m.

Cost: FREE!

Location: In front of the Green House (intersection of Alabama and Mitchell Avenues) 

BYOB 21+

To register for a booth, click here. $5 Registration fee per booth. 

Annie is a senior English major and Women's and Gender Studies minor from Macon, GA.