How to Survive Frat Hopping in Freezing Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Ay gurl, I see you there with your mini skirt, crop top, and sky-high heels and I gotta’ say- You’re definitely working it. But that also seems like a lot of effort to go through only to end up freezing as soon as you step out of the door.

So here’s a guide for gals like myself who are either too wimpy to embrace the cold or simply out of f**** cares to give when it comes to putting effort into putting together an outfit.

This one is for ya’ll.

1. Tights are friends. Seriously. Buy them.

I LOVE dance tights. Professional ballet tights are my jam because if they can make a professional dancer’s legs, often muscled as all get out and bruised to the bone, look awesome then imagine what they do to our simple student legs. Hint: They make them gorgeous.

They’re good for wearing under skirts and dresses of all lengths, plus I wear mine under leggings and pants to 1. Smooth out all the bumps and 2. Warmth.

They are SO WARM. They’re thicker than the average Walmart-bought tights but still pretty darn affordable. You can buy them in all shapes and colors on Amazon.com and discountdance.com (I personally prefer Capezio tights). Warning: You may get addicted to wearing them.

BONUS: If you’re like me and you tend to rip any and everything with your nails (oops) then have no fear! These things are pretty darn durable.

You can also get cute animal tights on Amazon.com. You’re welcome.

2. Go to Goodwill and buy yourself a Frat Jacket

(Yes, I reuse gifs. No, I don’t care that it’s lazy. Moving on.)

Okay so we all know that layering is key to success in the battle against Dr. Freeze, but none of us want to wear our expensive jackets to frats because of the following:

1.     It might fall in the frat sludge (um, can we not?)

2.     Someone might ‘borrow’ it (I am giving some serious side eye here)

3.     It might get forgotten (hey, it happens to the best of us)

And nobody wants any of those terrible things to happen to your one, super nice, super comfy $50+ jacket. Just. No. So this is where thrift shops come into play (oh yeah, I’m going there, to the surprise of no one).

You all know I love thrift shops, so much so that I wrote an article for thrifting for beginners (click me). Thrift stores are awesome because you can find seriously cute, seriously warm jackets for under $5 and dude. You can’t beat that.

Go to Goodwill. Find a frat jacket. Revel in your warmness.

3. Legitimately no one cares if you don’t dress up.

Oh, you’re too scared to wear those sweat pants because you don’t think they’re nice enough to go to a frat? Dude. Come on.

Now I’m totally not saying that there is anything wrong with dressing up. Hey, you do you my fine lady friend. But don’t feel pressured to put on your shortest skit and tiniest top just cause you think it’s the ‘thing’ to do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing up to a frat in warm leggings and an oversized t-shirt or sweats.

Besides, chances are it’ll be dark and no one will pay attention to your clothes, they’ll pay attention to your rad dance moves (unless you dance like me, which is a combination between an otter and a squirrel but hey, whatevs).

4. Comfortable footwear is totally okay

Remember when I mentioned frat sludge? Yeah, you do not want to get that on your nicest pairs of shoes. Trust me. Been there, done that (lost a really cute pair of boots along the way).

A cheap pair of converse, boots, flats, wedges, whatever it may be just be sure that they are comfortable and you can dance the night away in them. Your arches will thank you in the morning. Trust me.

Well gals, that’s it! I’ll stop talking now, but remember that when you go out to parties that it is all about being comfortable with what you have on. If that is a bikini and some flats, a black mini dress and some stilts, or some sweats with a workout shirt thrown on- hey, it’s your body and you dress it however you want.

Do put on some tights and a frat jacket though. You don’t need to be catching hypothermia and end up looking like someone right out of The Shining.

Peace out comrades!

Born and raised in Dandridge, TN, Taylor is a simple pre-law anthropology major and is a fan of anything cute/fluffy, reading, tea/coffee, and cats. Her patronus is Harley Quinn.