Her Campus’s Quick and Easy Guide for Vaginal Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

We’re back from spring break, we’re back from sandy beaches and even sandier bikinis, and we might even be back from a little spring break romp or two– all things that can come with their downsides. So when your fun and flirty days in the sun leave you with some unanticipated and definitely uninvited side effects, we’ve got ya covered. 

Bikini Razor Bumps

We all know razor bumps are itchy, painful and annoying, but the best way to avoid them is to know the source. Try to replace your razors regularly, because a dull razor just tears up your skin, irritating it and making you more susceptible to ingrown hairs. Even if you’re in a rush, don’t skip on the shaving cream– it causes less irritation and gets a closer shave so you don’t have to do it as regularly. Out of shaving cream? Conditioner works too! Putting on bikini after-shave creams help prevent bumps, which is something easy you can get at CVS. You can also use hydrocortisone cream if you’re looking for a cheaper option that does the job just as well, which you can find in the first-aid aisle of any drugstore. Or there’s always the option of not shaving at all; it’s your body, and there’s no reason you should spend forty minutes doing amateur contortion to try to change it if you don’t want to.  

UTI’s

Urinary tract infections are all about prevention, because once you get one, pretty much the only way to get rid of it is by going to the doctor and getting antibiotics. This might not be glamorous, but peeing after sex is super important. I promise you’ll thank yourself later if you start making a habit of post-lovin’ cleanup. Cranberry juice is a well-known helper, but for those of you not looking to chug two Nalgenes of cranberry juice a day, AZO has cranberry gummies to do the trick for you. Two of these mixed-berry flavored gummies is the equivalent to one glass of cran juice. If you do end up with a UTI, and symptoms persist for more than a few days or get worse, make an appointment with health services. It’s important to not just “wait this one out,” because if the infection spreads to your kidneys, it can become a much more serious issue. 

Yeast Infections

If you’re at the beach, the salt+sand+bikini combo can be pretty deadly to your vacation fun. If you’re on antibiotics, you’re even more likely to get a yeast infection because of the way medication affects your body’s pH. Try not to stay in a wet bathing suit all day long, and give yourself a little breathing room. Avoiding super uncomfortable vaginal issues while having an excuse to hang around your room naked is a win-win. If you do get a yeast infection, there are over-the-counter medications for it, but these creams can sometimes be really irritating if you have sensitive skin, so if you’re reaction-prone, it might be a safer bet to just go to health services where they’ll give you an anti-fungal pill and you’ll be good to go in less than 24 hours. 

So wear your bathing suit or your sweatpants, let your leg hair flow in the breeze or shave yourself from head-to-toe, have a Dimmick Day or have a Netflix night. But remember to take care of yourself, because you are a queen and so is your vag, and both should be treated as such.