Campus Cutie: Kelly Heilman C’20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I am pleased to present this week’s Capus Cutie: Kelly Heilman Class of 2020! As a First Year Student, Kelly is still making her way through life here at Sewanee. I’m here to show you what that life is like for her.

Name: Kelly Heilman

Nickname(s): Kel

Relationship Status: Single but looking ;)

Class: 2020

Hometown: Brick, NJ

Potential Major: Political Science with a Minor in Business

Extracurricular Activities: Business Society, College Republicans, Student Investment Club

Signature Pub Order: The free fruit bowl

Signature Clurg Meal:  11:15 lunch of a spinach wrap with spinach and whatever else I can find in it

Spirit Animal: “What’s a spirit animal?”

Biggest Pet Peeve: White socks and wide ruled paper

Favorite Music Genre: “Country in all capitals”

You’re obviously new here to Sewanee, but have you found a favorite spot to go to yet?

“The Ayres balcony even though I live in Humphreys. I love doing homework in the sun and I have a lot of friends who live in Ayres, so it’s perfect.”

What is your most embarasssing Sewanee story thus far?

“Here’s a good one: when I went to put my laundry in the dryer but accidentally put it in the washer again instead. Somebody was in there with me and they just watched me do it. Luckily I realized before it started. I had done laundry previously so it’s not like I was ignorant to the process, just being a doofus.”

Do you have a favorite class here at Sewanee?

“World Politics with Professor Patterson. The first time I visited I sat in on her class so it’s cool to be able to actually partake in it this time.”

What are some interesting facts about you?

“I have two. First, I met Florida Georgia Line’s magician. That’s one of the first things I say to people when I meet them. Second, I am a proud vegan and love health and fitness, especially long distance running. I have a 64 ounce hydroflask named Ondina and I drink two of them a day, adding up to a gallon of water a day.”

How long have you been a vegan and why did you become one?

“Almost a year. I took APES (AP Enviornmental Science) my senior year after going on a mission trip to Guatemala and seeing first hand how food and water can easily be wasted. I did a lot of research into the Agriculture Industry and learned a lot through the class about the topic. It just seemed like the right moral choice.”